Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Harley Dyna

Was riding today and bike backfired a couple times and then died and I got it coasted to the side of the road. At this point start to roadside trouble shoot and no power to anything. Odometer nothing lighting up.

can hook jumper cables to it and will turn over and start. But dies instantly.

new to the Harleys. Could this be the battery? I’m used to things that if they are running They will stay running.

thanks for any and all help and ideas

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
Charging system most likely. Got a manual for your bike? It will tell you how to check it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have a manual for the bike. I’ll see if I can find something online

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update this morning. Put a battery tender on it and charged second half the day and over the night. Battery tender shows full charge. However battery will not even light up a battery test light. Put the light on 3 different batteries. And it lights up on the others.

so my question is if a battery somehow completely died while riding would it cause the motorcycle to die.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Another update this morning. Put a battery tender on it and charged second half the day and over the night. Battery tender shows full charge. However battery will not even light up a battery test light. Put the light on 3 different batteries. And it lights up on the others.

so my question is if a battery somehow completely died while riding would it cause the motorcycle to die.
It sure would ! I would take the battery to any auto parts store to have it tested.

Also your bike's charging system needs to be tested to make sure it's not the cause of the battery going dead.
If you put a new battery in your bike and the charging system is faulty the new battery will die too.

I suggest the OP purchase an inexpensive multimeter to do some simple electrical tests, we can walk the OP thru electrical tests if the OP has a multimeter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure would ! I would take the battery to any auto parts store to have it tested.

Also your bike's charging system needs to be tested to make sure it's not the cause of the battery going dead.
If you put a new battery in your bike and the charging system is faulty the new battery will die too.

I suggest the OP purchase an inexpensive multimeter to do some simple electrical tests, we can walk the OP thru electrical tests if the OP has a multimeter.
I will pick up multimeter today if you want to list the methods to test the electrical

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Get the meter and between today and 2021 we'll we'll have you certified !

·
Registered
566 Posts
A battery tender is not the same as a charger. A tender won't charge a dead battery.

·
Billyghoate
35 Posts
Had same exact thing on my 92 flstc. Found 3 things...
1. Positive battery cable on starter broken. Replaced with car version
2. Rectifier bad, not charging battery, replaced
3. Starter solenoid bad, replaced starter (24hrs labor)!! Allballz starter in
4. Replaced battery
All good now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2001 Harley Dyna

Was riding today and bike backfired a couple times and then died and I got it coasted to the side of the road. At this point start to roadside trouble shoot and no power to anything. Odometer nothing lighting up.

can hook jumper cables to it and will turn over and start. But dies instantly.

new to the Harleys. Could this be the battery? I’m used to things that if they are running They will stay running.

thanks for any and all help and ideas
check your stator plug wire on the front of motor. they do tend to slip off just enough to cause that it looks like its plugged in. just push it down i supper glued mine a drop on each side of the boot its been three years has not happened again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check battery and alternator first:
When testing battery make sure not to look at the voltage alone, it should be able to hold a charge under load.
Check alternator output.
Next stop: wiring (chafing, broken insulation, dirt)

·
Registered
3 Posts
before you do anything push your stator plug down make sure you have a good connection . i was riding my heritage and all the sudden no power pulled over pushed the plug down ran like a raped ape after that so when o got home i took a wire brush cleaned the terminals put vaseline in the plug ends then took a dab of super glue on the two flat side of the boot never had that problem again.

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
Evo motor are the ones with push in plugs at case,twin cams are Deutsch connectors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts