Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
just a term for a higher center of gravity a sportster has high center than a delux it might not weigh as much but harder to balance

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
That the center of gravity is higher than the physical center line of the motorcycle. Therefore, when you lean in a turn the weight of the bike wants to pull you over, requiring more counter balance.

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
Just think of a skinny chick with a huge rack! ... come to think of it, that is always good advice.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That the center of gravity is higher than the physical center line of the motorcycle. Therefore, when you lean in a turn the weight of the bike wants to pull you over, requiring more counter balance.
This.

At higher speeds it will be less of an issue than at lower speeds. In fact, for most the biggest concern of a top-heavy bike is very low speed maneuverability. It's easier to dump a top-heavy bike in the parking lot.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Sportster roadster + dual front discs + noobie rider = almost dumped it!! Luckily I was so new that I had people around in case my dirt bike skills didn't quite translate into mc skills.. good thing too or I would have dumped the bike...that wasn't mine!

Don't be afraid of whatever bike you decide to get though. You will get used to it in no time at all. Now I throw the girl around like a CBR1000
(Or at least I think I do) hahahaha

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,600 Posts
Low center of gravity is the reason that our road king tanks are so awesome to handle even slow.

High center of gravity is why early '80s Honda CBs take a little practice.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
Low center of gravity is the reason that our road king tanks are so awesome to handle even slow.

High center of gravity is why early '80s Honda CBs take a little practice.
Also why slammed FatBoys handle well till ya scrape the floorboards hard! Chief your saying you once met the nicest people on a Honda?:tinfoilhat:

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Handling a roadster at low speeds is like trying to ride an alligator.
Luckily though, its lightness makes up for its top heaviness so it isn't a big deal.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts