Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello gents... Just wanted to introduce myself and get some advice on how to proceed with my new found love. :)

First off I'm a car/truck fanatic with years of modifying them and racing them. So I can turn a wrench or two on them and don't really rely on a dealership for anything unless its warranty related.

Two weekends ago, during my camping trip I happened to stop at a gas station and there was a small Harley dealer in the same parking lot. They had an iron 883 in denim black and for some strange reason I heard it call my name.. Maybe I'm halucinating but this happens to me when I see a car I like as well... :)

So I started doing some research on it and provided that I've never owned a bike in my life (besides bicycles) I felt like it was a blessing to have fallen in love with an entry level bike.

This last weekend, I started visiting a few dealers to see what I had to spend to get on the open road and start enjoying this summer. It seems like the best price I could find is 8950 (out the door) for an 'Iron' with factory security. Yesterday, I decided to take the plunge and sign the papers..... Now I can't sleep till I pick it up tomorrow. :)

The salesman tells me to do the pipes, intake and tune at the first service. But I'm itching to do it right away. As for break in, any pointers and 'things to do' and 'things to never do' will be very helpful.

Thank you much in advance for your input. I'll post pics as soon as I pick it up.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. Here are some standard does and don't during the break in period:

Break in for new rings is basically what not to do:
Do not overrev the motor (4500rpms or less)
No extended steady state-like freeway (vary the throttle)
No heavy loads where wide throttle openings are required to move the bike (lugging)
Do not do any of above for the first 500 miles and all should be good to go to dyno.

Do close the throttle and let coast every now and then.
Do run the motor in a gear and rpm where it seems happy with the least amount of load.
Do open the throttle once in awhile to put some load on the rings (try to be off throttle for as long as you were on immediately after). Picture running up a small hill then coasting down the other side with the throttle closed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you chopperpilot for the insights. So it pretty much the standard breakin and nothing really special... That's good to know.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Welcome from Iowa , congrats on the new ride !

You haven't rode before ? I'd HIGHLY recommend a MSF course before hitting the road on your new bike. Your dealer should be able to help you out with this. It is as much for your safety as your new ride.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you gents, I certainly will take all the precautionary steps prior to hitting the roads on my bike. I will get my permit first and then the MSF course for the license.

Any suggestions in safety gear besides the helmet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks carbone, did you get the security pkg? I think that's a very neat option for a bike.

·
2,327 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you much gents.... Looking forward to a nice season of open air motoring.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA Jd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks gents.. It's pouring outside and I'm supposed to pick up the bike today... :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I picked up my bike today and its a pretty awesome experience!!! Put about 50 miles on it today... My first ever bike and its pretty cool. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts