Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but I'm kinda new to this motorcycle thing ;-)

Do people ever rotate their handlebars, forward /backward for better fit? I did some searching and didn't find much. I guess it would work fine with bars that are straight or that would lay flat on a plane, but mine are stock FLSTN Softail Deluxe so rotating them could put the grips in a weird angle/position.

I started off thinking of getting new bars. My arms are in what many would consider an ideal position i think, but I just like them stretched out a little more. I'm probably at somewhere over a 90 degree arm bend. Feels like that, but maybe it is more like 120. I don't want to be a straight 180, but a little more would be nice. At first I thought I had just got used to the boulevard bars on my Honda and that I needed to adjust, but after almost 1000 miles I'm still not getting used to them.

I'm not going to bother with it, though, if the answer is...no, they will only feel right in a very small range.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It could help, make a reference mark so you can put then back. Loosen up just a titch, and try different spots. If you find one you like, tighten them down, and ride it. Worse case it doesn't work, with the mark, you can put them back. Worst case it won't work, and you won't be out any money.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Yes, you can rotate them forward or back to suit your needs. Just loosen the clamps a little, rotate the bars, clamp it down and ride. If it fixes it keep it. If not try another spot. After I put new bars on my bike I had to rotate them back three times before I got the sweet spot. It took almost 5000 miles of "test" riding to get them to this sweet spot too. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Put a towel on the tank. If you loosen the bars too much they will swing down and scar or dent the tank. It is best to have a friend help by loosening the four bolts and you hold the bars where you think you like them and then have him or her tighten just enough to hold their position. Know the torque specs and tighten the leading bolts first. Be careful and don't strip those bolts. That is soft aluminum they are bolted into. That is why I said know your specs.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
You bet. Put the bars where you like them. It's part of the ergonomics of the bike...whatever makes you feel comfortable.
It is always the first thing I do on a new bike.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
And when you tighten follow the proper procedure... Not much worse than slipping handlebars.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I pulled them back a bit on my Softail. Also had to rotate the grips/clutch/brake controls a bit forward after pulling the handlebars back. As others have said, torque it down after you rotate them. I had mine slip once. Freaked me out.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
When you are done, swing the bars all the way right and left a few times and check to make sure nothing is pinched, that the controls, mirrors, etc. dont hit anything and that the throttle still returns quickly to fully closed, on it's own.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
hahahaha your right that is a dumb question hahahaha JK. Yup i just moved my bars back some , they feel more comfy there now. you got to adjust here an there. one day i like mine up more the next day i like them down closer to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts