Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I’m the only one that didn’t know that rotating rear trike tires was a good idea, but here’s photo of my right tire versus left after 38k miles on my Freewheeler. Granted I like riding my M8 with the 22X torque cam pretty aggressive, but it looks like I could of gotten another 5 to 8k miles out of my tires if I had rotated them at about 20k miles? I keep my pressure at 22.5 psi for max comfort.

The good news is that I’ve been wanting to replace the stock Dunlop's with the Goodyear comfortred for a smoother ride for some time now, and I can’t wait to try out my new comfortreds out this weekend.
Ron
PS the comfortred are getting hard to find in the 15 inch. I live in Dallas but still had to go on-line to get mine from Simpletire.com

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
510 Posts
I thought radials on a 4 wheel vehicle were to be rotated front to back only because they get broken in to the rotation direction. Not sure if it applies to your tires as well. Do they have a rotation direction arrow on the sidewall? Maybe have a positraction rear end installed so they both bite during your aggressive riding. Just kidding.

·
Indian Larry
9,368 Posts
Rotating them is fine as long as they are not directional tires. If they are, they'll have directional arrows on the side wall. If you consistantly wear one side more, I'd swap them now and then.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought radials on a 4 wheel vehicle were to be rotated front to back only because they get broken in to the rotation direction. Not sure if it applies to your tires as well. Do they have a rotation direction arrow on the sidewall? Maybe have a positraction rear end installed so they both bite during your aggressive riding. Just kidding.
No these aren't directional tires, but I like the idea of the positraction 😀 reminds me of my old GTO! Maybe I'll lay off of the 0-60 runs... got it down to 4.7 seconds, not too bad for a trike

·
Registered
31 Posts
If my tyres looked like that I'd be having the geometry of the back end looked at.

Unless I knew that there is a huge difference in the speed I go round LH corners compared to RH corners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If my tyres looked like that I'd be having the geometry of the back end looked at.

Unless I knew that there is a huge difference in the speed I go round LH corners compared to RH corners.
I'm thinking it's because the right tire is the drive tire and I'm aggressive in my starts, but if that's not the case then you are certainly right, I've got a problem. I'll be watching my new tires closer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Tri Glide but I assume it has the same back end as the Freewheeler in that it has a solid rear axle which effectively means both wheels are driven wheels.

I'm new to trikes so stand to be corrected by people with more expertise.

I would assume comparing it to a car would be correct and if I saw that on my car I'd think there was something wrong and an over inflated tyre would be my first thought but as you run at 22.5 that probably doesn't apply here.

I do like to ride with enthusiasm and have only done 10000 miles but the wear on both my tyres is identical.

Would be interested to know if the goodyears do improve ride quality

1 - 7 of 7 Posts