Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I'm now interested in traveling this route or what left of it....any stories about a bike trip on the route???

Been reading a lot about it and I think it would've been a blast back 30 or 40 years ago???:bikerguy:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
66 is no longer a single integrated roadway. In some places it 'disappears' and you have to find it again. Last year I did ride a small portion of it in Arizona and Nevada. If you have the time to wander/search then it would be an interesting ride, for sure.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Like Deucedog said "wander and search" is what you have to do. We tried to do it in a car, but the hassle of staying on the R 66 footprint got to me. But, even close, on secondary roads will take you through some of the best of America.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I definitely agree with JP.

When you are traveling through Joplin, MO, you have to stop at Stogie's Coney Island for food. I would recommend the Junk Yard Dog w/ a polish sausage instead of a regular hot dog. Any time I am in Joplin I eat there AT LEAST 2 times a week. ( Family lives in Joplin.)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
rode it in 67 or 68 on a 65 XLCH from sacramento to L.A. then across to OK city. young & dumb. had a blast:thumbsup

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,658 Posts
Been on parts of it in ILL and Missouri, I would like to check more of it out.:ride

·
Registered
951 Posts
Have ridden parts of it in Texas & Oklahoma...............It'll just end on you so yeah you have to really hunt sometimes. Its no longer a maintained road from what I was told in Oklahoma..............The signs are brown meaning its labeled historic and no longer maintained which I could attest to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts