Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows of a good route planner where you can input a route and then upload it to your bikes navigation. I want to be able to create my own route with the roads I want and be able to broadcast it on my nav. Thanks in advance.

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
what bike, what nav?

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
I have not found the perfect route planner, yet. So I use Google maps to plan and check routes and destinations. Then I do the actual route in the HD ride planner. Routes created with the HD planner can be saved and downloaded into your GPS unit, or you can create a GPX file to import.

Jeff

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what bike, what nav?

Sorry. The standard nav that's on a 2014 street glide.

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not found the perfect route planner, yet. So I use Google maps to plan and check routes and destinations. Then I do the actual route in the HD ride planner. Routes created with the HD planner can be saved and downloaded into your GPS unit, or you can create a GPX file to import.

Jeff

Ok. So basically any app that can create a GPX file to import to the my navigation will work? Can I just save a GPX file to a thumb drive and plug into my bike to upload?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
yes you can

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have not had good luck with Harleys ride planer I like to take back roads when I can so have to get the old (MAP) out and the mark the map or put in gps am not very good at that yet use gps for finding st address but not to much for travel does anyone have good two lane road planning program I tried base camp but am not to good with it

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i set up a route that I want to take. However, the route keeps re-calculating to adjust to the shortest distance thus taking me off of my desired route. Someone needs to develop an app compatible with nav that lets you set up a route that you want. Id pay for that.

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Like I said, there is no one perfect route planner, or I have not found one. I use a combination of hard copy maps, check sites like roadrunner.com for maps and route ideas and google maps to plan a route in the area I am riding. Then use the HD ride planner to put it all together.

For backroads, you can check this site, https://maps.ridingsocial.com/ . Butler maps also offers some nice routes. Also, Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

You can also turn off the setting for shortest distance.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said, there is no one perfect route planner, or I have not found one. I use a combination of hard copy maps, check sites like roadrunner.com for maps and route ideas and google maps to plan a route in the area I am riding. Then use the HD ride planner to put it all together.

For backroads, you can check this site, https://maps.ridingsocial.com/ . Butler maps also offers some nice routes. Also, Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

You can also turn off the setting for shortest distance.

Thanks a lot I'll check those out

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
With the HD Ride Planner, you can put intermediate waypoints in and will run the route you preplan. The more waypoints you add, the more the route will follow your plan and not reroute.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The HD ride planner is pretty good, but I'm always having to fight with the route logic is has. Sometimes, it is great. Others, not so much. I've been using inRoute lately for the plan for May to Philly. Even the paid version only allows 25 waypoints, but if you break the route into days and bookmark that, that works pretty well. The route logic is better, as far as I can tell, and I do a lot less fighting with it. I run the app on the iPhone, so I don't have to hope and pray my HD app will let me in or force me into another password-reset process.

inRoute exports the route to Apple Maps, MapQuest, TomTom, GPX and others. When I export to my Apple Maps, I can get turn-by-turn from Siri, so I'm happy.

Worth checking out. Paid version is only a few bucks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The HD ride planner is pretty good, but I'm always having to fight with the route logic is has. Sometimes, it is great. Others, not so much. I've been using inRoute lately for the plan for May to Philly. Even the paid version only allows 25 waypoints, but if you break the route into days and bookmark that, that works pretty well. The route logic is better, as far as I can tell, and I do a lot less fighting with it. I run the app on the iPhone, so I don't have to hope and pray my HD app will let me in or force me into another password-reset process.

inRoute exports the route to Apple Maps, MapQuest, TomTom, GPX and others. When I export to my Apple Maps, I can get turn-by-turn from Siri, so I'm happy.

Yea I actually downloaded this app. The free version. I liked the trial. I'm just wondering if it will re route you off of your desired trail if it finds a shorter route.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ok so I bought the full version. Very customizable and informative. I set up a route and now I want to export off of my iPhone and onto a thumb drive so I can plug that into my 14' street glide and run it off that navigation. Any idea on how to do this ?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
In the Route details ( the little icon at the bottom, second from left) tap the icon in the upper right (looks like a box with an arrow pointing up). Select email or message and send it to yourself at a GPX attachment. Save that to your USB fob from your desktop email. An alternative is to send it to Evernote, if you use that, then drop it to a USB fob from your desktop. Didn't test that.

Seems to work for me. But, I don't have a Street Glide or anything that accepts GPX, so can't test that part. Hope that helps. I'm still learning all the things about this app. It is pretty cool.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the Route details ( the little icon at the bottom, second from left) tap the icon in the upper right (looks like a box with an arrow pointing up). Select email or message and send it to yourself at a GPX attachment. Save that to your USB fob from your desktop email. An alternative is to send it to Evernote, if you use that, then drop it to a USB fob from your desktop. Didn't test that.

Seems to work for me. But, I don't have a Street Glide or anything that accepts GPX, so can't test that part. Hope that helps. I'm still learning all the things about this app. It is pretty cool.

Got it!!! Thanks!!! Appreciate the help. The app is great. I like the how it will notify you of different things like temp, humidity, etc along your route and how you can set lay overs. Just a lot to do and seems to be good for bikers.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just picked up the app, planning on trying to set up the routes for the HCMR, I'll keep you all posted on how that works for me or doesn't. Wish it was available for the Mac, it would be easier to set up on a bigger screen.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I agree, windwalker. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle to port that app to Mac OS X, since the core development platform is the same.

/edit

I posted a message to the folks who make the app. Will see what comes back.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Here's what I got back from Carob Apps:

"Thanks for writing. We are planning a Mac version but don't have a date when it will be available. Planning on the iPad is as big of a screen as we go currently. Knowing there is interest in a Mac version is definitely helpful for our planning so thank you!"

So, there you go.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's what I got back from Carob Apps:

"Thanks for writing. We are planning a Mac version but don't have a date when it will be available. Planning on the iPad is as big of a screen as we go currently. Knowing there is interest in a Mac version is definitely helpful for our planning so thank you!"

So, there you go.

I used my iPad. It works good. Still haven't tried exporting it to my bike yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts