Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I transported a bunch of stuff in my cargo trailer this summer when the family moved from Alaska to California, including my '96 Road King. On one of the legs, it ended up getting rubbed up against in a spot. In the picture, the tip of my pinky is about the size of a dime.

I'm wondering the best course of action to take. As you can see it rubbed right down to the primer on the saddle bag. Do I leave it and call it a battle scar? Is it an easy DIY fix? I don't want to take it in some where, I'm sure to have a shop do it, I could buy some new aftermarket leather bags.

Anyway I wanted to get some thoughts on what to do?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
If it's Vivid black, you may be able to paint it. If it's Black Pearl, it will take a good paint guy to do. I'd call it a battle scar, or find a tiny decal to slap over it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You could pinstripe the leading edge (of both bags) covering the rub. Or you could take the warning decal off the bag guard and put it over the rub :rollin

·
Registered
419 Posts
That can be touched up pretty easy, by someone with painting skill.
Not a big deal, a paint shop should charge a small amount since it's
a detail size job.

Assuming its not metallic paint... if it is it will cost a bit more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a dark green color. The pin stripe is an interesting idea, I thought about the decal. Maybe i'll take the pic into a shop and see what they quote.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
:thumbsuptitle has me confused- thought this was a whole nuther subject

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Check around at some local used car dealer departments. They usually use the services of a mobile paint touchup guy to handle small paint problems on their car inventory. Those guys are pretty good at matching paint and touching up small areas on cars for a reasonable price (less than a body shop). They may be able to put you in touch with one of those guys.

If you find one, it may help if you remove the lid and give it to them to fix.
--

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Check around at some local used car dealer departments. They usually use the services of a mobile paint touchup guy to handle small paint problems on their car inventory. Those guys are pretty good at matching paint and touching up small areas on cars for a reasonable price (less than a body shop). They may be able to put you in touch with one of those guys.

--
+1 on this. we have them come to our lot weekly.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
leave it and use it for some crazy story-

went to montana and ran into some heroine smuggling atheists who chased me thru the great montana desert plains at speeds over 35 at times - they had sniper gophers and i was bobbing and weaving like a mad man and this was the best shot they made

·
Registered
42,157 Posts
I think it was the Amish.... you never know about those guys.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
I would buy the H-D 2 part paint touch up kit. Then you'll have extra for other accidents too !

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Deleted
--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
1st off what the effing were you thinking moving to cali one of the worst places on earth to move too.
GET OUT. why the heck would anybody move here . thats just nuts. here im trying to get the heck out of here and people are moving here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

--
I'll look into that, thanks. I was also looking at color rite before the paint scratch link was posted. Anyone have experience with either?

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
As ole Harry always said: "Rubbin's racin'!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts