Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the bike I am looking to buy, will need a replacement bolt for the motor mount. Its possible that the threads are stripped inside the housing itself (I havent looked at it yet). Is this a serious problem, or an easy fix? I can get access to a threading tool, I believe, so doing it myself shouldnt be an issue. I am just concerned that this may be a bigger problem than anticipated. If its as easy as rethreading it, then thats dead simple. I just dont want to put a lot of money into a new, to me, bike, and end up spending more money. Thanks!

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
What kind of bike ? Model, year, miles etc..

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The front main mount has a through bolt and nut. The rear main mount uses the swing arm pivots. There are then many small bolts, most of which screw into easily replaced brackets. The few bolts in the engine case can be repaired with Heli-coils.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, as I'm not completely familiar with the layout of the bike (And, I dont have it in front of me), so I will do my best to explain the location of the motor mount bolt, from memory.
The bolt is on the left hand side, as sitting on the bike, and, I believe, a lower bolt. The bolt passes through a hole where the rubber is, and into the block. That is, from the front of the frame. the bolt is very easily accessed from the side, and, if its an easy replacement with those, thats pretty good news. I have no idea how to do it, but, youtube probably does :)

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Can't really tell from your description, but if it's the front main mount, the bolt( which has a head size about 1 1/4 inch or so) goes through and has a nut on the right side.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you are not comfortable with a heli coil there may be another option. I had to do this on my outboard and it worked out fine. You first can try to re tap the existing hole. If that dose not work you can oversize the hole to the next size depending on how much meat is on the head. They sell Aluminum bolts. (Ebay) or Fastenal. get a bolt to fit the oversized re tapped hole use Loc Tite thread locker on it and install it cut it off flush and file. You can then drill and tap that new material to the original size hole then put in a new blot and it will be as good as new. This would be a last resort repair if necessary. Welding it would be the only other option then re drill re tap if you go oversize. You can try to simply just use an oversized bolt. Lastly you can replace the head

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I was hoping my explanation would kind of guide someone, but, clearly, it didnt :). The bolt is located on the left front, situated lower, as I recall. The nearest I could find was a pic pulled from the internet (not mine). This shows it on the ride side of the bike, but the its the left side mount that is loose.
I'm hoping this link works for the pic:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ok here is some pictures and info that might help somewhat. Facing the engine from the front the right side is a stud with a nut Looks to be 1/4 inch stud. The frame is blocking any access other than to remove the nut. On the left it is a bolt. There is plenty of room to get a drill bit and tap in that area. Be very careful drilling aluminum it will drill fast and if your not careful hack a bigger hole than you want to drill. If it is the right side the bracket will have to be removed as well as the head to make a repair. This is a 1993 and may be different having a stud as opposed to a bolt. If you are talking about the Lower bolt here it should not be to hard to fix. Not sur if it is a single bolt or a through bolt if so the nut just may be loose on the other side which I cannot see

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
OK Sorry maybe this picture can help him out. Used the upper mount on mine for a comparison I think he is asking about the lower mount to the engine

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so, I had the opportunity to play around with the bike a little bit yesterday. There was an oil leak, we traced to a leaky hose, he will fix. The front tire needs replacing, I will do. The motor mount bolt, as stated, needs to be redone. I managed to take a pic, which I will try to attach here.

EDIT: Photobucket isnt responding, I will try to upload later today.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Like the picture I posted I do not think you can get at that hole to repair it without removing the head. The frame is blocking access to it on that side. You say it comes loose or dose it just keep spinning and won't tighten up? The first thing I would check is to see if that is the proper size bolt for the threaded whole. Also check the ear to see if there is a crack there. Like my 93 you may be able to get a threaded stud or Threaded rod in there with locktite or some type of heavy sealer and after it sets put a nut on it. They sell course thread on one side Like a lag bolt See Pic Lag thread Or simply use a lag bolt with a lock washer. Take extreme care when tapping it in removing the bolt after a few turns (In and out repeat) to remove aluminum as not to crack the head.See pic Stud with different threads which you may be able to tap into the head and get a good grab but you risk messing things up worse if you take that route. Cheap fix but not recommended. Just a few ideas for you to ponder. Depends how much work and $ you want to spend on it

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gotcha, thanks. Its a stock bolt, and it just seems to come loose. When I last looked at it, I could tighten it by hand. I sort of wondering if the rubber o ring needs to be replaced as well, as if its breaking down, and not causing a firm seat, or, alternatively, isnt holding correctly. Either way, I will take a look at it when I get it. I have a local HD mechanic who is well trusted, and have him take a gander at it too.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Confused here I don't know of an Oring belonging on the upper mount bolt. If there is one there that may be the problem. Use Loctite. If you are referring to the rubber on the lower mount then just get a new mount. They wear and become spongy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Confused here I don't know of an Oring belonging on the upper mount bolt. If there is one there that may be the problem. Use Loctite. If you are referring to the rubber on the lower mount then just get a new mount. They wear and become spongy
Thats what I was referring to.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yes a worn spongy mount would definitely let slack on the thru bolt and cause it to loosen up. I would replace it with a NEW one

·
Banned
71 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts