Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took a couple of days off to tour some western states. Here's a GPS map of my trip.

Idaho trip

I didn't have very specific plans but I was hoping to see Idaho and Montana. Because of the rainy forecast I never did make it to Montana.

From my home in Durango CO I headed NW into Utah.

After passing Price Utah highway 6 took me through this cutout in the rock bluff.

I stopped in Idaho Falls. These waterfalls gave the town it's name.

I stopped in Snow Eagle Brewpub for lunch and to check my map.

I was planning on heading east into Montana but the weather app on my phone said there was nothing but rain and thunderstorms toward the east. Instead I decided to head east.

This next picture is near Arco UT.

This next picture is of Craters of the Moon National Monument. The ground was covered everywhere with sharp volcanic rocks.

As I followed the Snake River valley I saw plenty of potato fields. The irrigation systems seem to spray water constantly. The areas that didn't have farmland or irrigation were very arid.

As I approached the Sawtooth National Forest I pulled into the small town of Bellevue Utah for the night.

I rode 835 miles today.

To be continued ...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,480 Posts
Idaho is just one of those states we don't hear too much about, but I have ridden there several times and it has been well worth the trip up there to do so. Dave, did you luck out as we did one trip and hit one of those rest stops where the locals show up and hand out their fresh baked goodies and free coffee?

Reactions: SilverFatBoy

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idaho is just one of those states we don't hear too much about, but I have ridden there several times and it has been well worth the trip up there to do so. Dave, did you luck out as we did one trip and hit one of those rest stops where the locals show up and hand out their fresh baked goodies and free coffee?
No I missed out on the baked goods and coffee.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 2

My motel didn't have breakfast but that's okay. I rode north and had a good breakfast at The Kneadery in Ketchum Idaho.

After breakfast I continued north into the Sawtooth National Forest.

Highway 75 took me up into the mountains.

How'd you like to have this view from your back deck?

At Stanley UT I turned onto highway 21 that took me west through the mountains.

Heading north on highway 55 was beautiful scenery but I saw more traffic than I would like so I turned south onto highway 95. Now I am seeing far fewer cars but I do get light rain off and on.

Highway 95 takes me into SW Oregon.

This is desolate terrain. It's far different from the more familiar Oregon western coast.

I took 95 into Nevada. I was planning on staying the night when I would arrive at Winnemucca Nevada on Interstate 80 but when I got there at 9:00 the sun was still up and I decided to keep riding. I pulled off the interstate at Carlin and stayed there the night.

I rode 715 miles today

To be continued ...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Day 3

From my motel I head east on Interstate 80 across Nevada. Soon I stop for breakfast at a Denny's. At the Nevada/Utah border I pass Wendover and start the long ride across the Great Salt Lake Desert. I see cars driving out onto the Salt Flats. Much of the salt is very firm and easy to drive on. But there are also sandy places. I see tracks of many vehicles that crossed the median of the interstate in attempts to make a U turn. Many made it but many tracks show they got stuck.

This area is desolate. That reminds me ... how much gas do I have? Not enough to make it to Salt Lake City. I can't turn around to Wendover. What do I do? I keep riding. My GPS says there are no gas stations before Salt Lake City. I pass occasional exits but none of them have gas. My on board computer alerts me to the distance until I will run out of gas. 20 miles, 15 miles, Then the mileage simply says LOW and no longer tells me how far I have to go. There is no gas station is site but I do come across a rest stop. This is better than running out of gas on the Interstate so I exit.

Sitting at the rest stop I know I need gas. I am thinking anyone hauling a jeep, ATV or any other type of trailered vehicle might be carnying extra gas. Soon a pickup comes in pulling a big camper. I can see this camper has a big compartment in the rear to carry an ATV.

I say hi to the driver and ask if he has any spare gas.
He says "No, I've only got diesel" and points to his pickup.
I say "Thanks anyway and have a nice day."
He calls me back saying "Wait a minute. I do have some gas."
He opens a small door on his trailer and pulls out a gas hose. I put plenty of gas in my tank. I paid him generously for the gas. He tried to give me some of the money back but I said "no, no that gas was worth $100 to me. You helped me out tremendously."

Actually that did work out pretty good for me. I didn't wait very long and he was the first person I asked for gas.

I get back on the interstate and continue to Salt Lake City.

One place I wanted to visit was the John Moses Browning Museum in Ogden UT. Browning was an inventive genius and I've read books on his firearm inventions. His museum is in the old Union Station. When I arrive I find out that they are only open 3 days a week now because of COVID-19. Today is not one of those days.

I have heard of the Ogden Canyon so I headed that direction. Just as I entered the canyon the traffic stopped. There was an accident and they weren't letting through any traffic.

I did stop by this waterfall. It was man-made. They had a pipeline and at times they had to release water down into the canyon.

After waiting half an hour I turned around and instead took Interstate 84 out of town. This met up with Interstate 80 that I took to Green River Wyoming.

I stopped in at the Hitching Post Restaurant and Saloon for dinner. I ate here before on this trip:

After dinner it was raining. I was planning on riding further but the rain changed my mind. I got a motel for the night here in Green River.

Today I rode 470 miles.
To be continued ...

·
Road Junkie
1,917 Posts
Wonderful trip report, Dave. I love how you set out with a rough plan and just adapt as thing unveil themselves. Would have been a cool stop at the John Moses Browning Museum, but now you have a reason for another trip!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Dave,
Once again I am going to encourage you to publish a Motorcycle touring guide of the Western United States. With your photos and beautifully written descriptions it would give a ton of people insights and a desire to do what you do! Thanks again for taking us with you. LOVE IT.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 4

The reason I came here to Green River Wyoming is to see the Flaming Gorge. I've been here before and rode the western edge of the Flaming Gorge but this time I wanted to ride the eastern edge.

The weather forecast didn't have any rain for today. At first it did look like it might rain but the sky soon cleared up.

I saw a lot of wildlife here. In just this one section east of the Flaming Gorge I saw elk, pronghorn antelope, mule deer and coyote.

Highway 191 brought me into Vernal Utah. Here I stopped for breakfast.

After breakfast I took highway 40 east into Colorado.

I ride past Dinosaur National Monument. This monument spans both Utah and Colorado. In Colorado there is a cool road that's well worth taking. I have already ridden it so I continue on.

I head south and go over Douglas Pass.

I ride into Grand Junction, get on hwy 50 and pass through Delta, Montrose, Ridgeway and Ouray. This is now the Million Dollar Highway.

I stop at Molas Pass.

I ride back to my home in Durango.

THE END

I rode 429 miles today.
On the entire four day trip I rode 2449 miles.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What an experience to be able to see all those places I cant believe you rode 2449 miles in just four days I would be totally knackered and would need a further week to recover .
Thank you for taking the time and effort posting your photos for I know I shall never see such sights ,
Wonderful regards Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
We try to keep Idaho a secret. Unfortunately, others have discovered it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Idaho is stunning. Maybe not so much in the winter, but the summer scenery there is absolutely fantastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts