Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question that can hopefully be dismissed as paranoia - rode the ROT rally parade last night in Austin on my new FatBob. Just crossed the 1K point and have had no problems... Running a lot of stop and go for about an our riding from the camp grounds to downtown u felt the bike getting really hot. By the time I got to the parking zone, I saw steam rising in front of my headlights. Couldn't tell for certain if it was coming from my bike or the exhaust from the bike in front of me. I've never ridden in this kind of traffic so I don't know if this is common (usually ride open road with plenty of airflow). Thanks in advance!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Poser Member # 99
17,167 Posts
It wasn't bugs cooking over the heat of the headlight. Was it a high humidity day they need air to cool them down. A high heat day and no air movement means over heating .
Welcome to the forum

You might want to go to the new to community and do a intro
:2cents

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not sure about ure bike but my eg will drop the back cylinder if it gets to hot. U can definitely here it. Removed cat an installed V&H fuel pak. Seems to help but boy when she's hot she's hot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I traded a Corvette convertible for my '05 Electra Glide, in part because I didn't like the way the car overheated in slow traffic or especially when idling. Now I worry about the Harley. Makes me wonder how long I can stick with the bike.

Has anybody had real engine damage from overheating, or is this just part of the normal ownership experience? It makes me pretty nervous, I have to admit.

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
It is normal for them to get extremely hot I wouldn't get too worried about it. After I made the switch from liquid cooled Metric bikes to Harley's (my first Fat Bob) I took my brand new bike back to the dealership concerned about the heat it was giving off. I thought there is no way this is normal. I thought there was something wrong with the bike. They checked it over and assured me that the bike was fine. They told me it was normal for a Harley to run HOT! It was under warranty so I wasn't to worried about it. Since that time I've wrecked 2 Harley's and my latest bike is a Fat Boy Lo. It runs hot as well. Damn near burns my upper leg when I get stuck in Florida traffic at around 90 degrees. Air cooled V-twins are notorious for giving off a lot of heat. If you are bothered by this there are a few things you can do. Harley makes a heat deflection shield that is smoked color that you can put on over the back of the rear cylinder for $70. On the newer bikes you can also have the dealership turn on a feature that will disable your rear cylinder when your bike reaches a specified temperature. Also keep in mind that no airflow across your regulator/rectifier can fry it fairly quickly. The shiners have to replace them fairy often because they will fry without the airflow keeping them cool. In this Florida heat and traffic I'm far more worried about my regulator/rectifier than my engine.

Hope this helps ease your mind a little.....

Quick question that can hopefully be dismissed as paranoia - rode the ROT rally parade last night in Austin on my new FatBob. Just crossed the 1K point and have had no problems... Running a lot of stop and go for about an our riding from the camp grounds to downtown u felt the bike getting really hot. By the time I got to the parking zone, I saw steam rising in front of my headlights. Couldn't tell for certain if it was coming from my bike or the exhaust from the bike in front of me. I've never ridden in this kind of traffic so I don't know if this is common (usually ride open road with plenty of airflow). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of your inputs eased the paranoia - thanks! I suspected as much but it helps to here it from the experienced. Luckily the lake and hill country I normally cruise around in (even when I occasionally commute into the office on the bike) I don't experience sitting around in the 90+ temps for too long.

Safe riding y'all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for clearing the paranoia. Luckily I normally don't have to deal with sitting around in 90+ weather for extended amounts of time - the joys of riding around the Lake Travis and Hill Country area!

Safe riding y'all!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Those twin cams do give off a lot of heat especially with a touring bike..

Here is the deal though. It is very hard to overheat an air cooled engine

Let's let that sink in....

OK

The reason why is that the higher that engine temp is, the farther away from ambient air that temp is. So, if an engine is at 270 degrees even the 100 degree stagnant air around it is ice cold in comparison. That makes it really hard for the engine to increase in temperature. Each degree is harder and harder to obtain. Then, accounting for the cylinder shutoff technology and you have, for the most part, an engine that is very hard to overheat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The way you enable the "parade mode" on my 2012 FLTRX is turn the ignition on, turn the kill switch on, roll the throttle forward for 3 to 5 seconds. When the Parade mode function is enabled the cruise control indicator light will flash green, when disabled it will flash red.

It will also work with the bike running.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also keep in mind that no airflow across your regulator/rectifier can fry it fairly quickly. The shiners have to replace them fairy often because they will fry without the airflow keeping them cool. In this Florida heat and traffic I'm far more worried about my regulator/rectifier than my engine.

Hope this helps ease your mind a little.....
Ease the mind? This is one more thing to worry about!:bowrofl:

Those of us who began riding back in the day on air-cooled 2-strokes learned to fear the dreaded seizure from overheating. But to my previous question: has anyone experienced engine damage from overheating? Seizures? Warped heads? (No, I'm not talking about medical conditions.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't worry about it anymore at all. I installed a set of fans called FCS from Wards Parts Werks. Jason Ward built this setup himself to answer the problem you are describing. Since I installed the FCS I don't even worry about it. I got stopped at a train track waiting on a 2 miler. When I stopped according to the PowerVision my engine temp was 248. I waited what seems like 2 hours (probably about 3 minutes) and when I was able to cross, my engine temp had dropped to 229. It actually went down while I was sitting there. I can sit in traffic all day long now. It's the best mod I've done to the bike. NO I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER WITH WARDS. He just builds a great product.

Attachments

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
I don't worry about it anymore at all. I installed a set of fans called FCS from Wards Parts Werks. Jason Ward built this setup himself to answer the problem you are describing. Since I installed the FCS I don't even worry about it. I got stopped at a train track waiting on a 2 miler. When I stopped according to the PowerVision my engine temp was 248. I waited what seems like 2 hours (probably about 3 minutes) and when I was able to cross, my engine temp had dropped to 229. It actually went down while I was sitting there. I can sit in traffic all day long now. It's the best mod I've done to the bike. NO I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER WITH WARDS. He just builds a great product.
Just checked out his web site, the product looks amazing. I may have to try that. I always fret about overheating. :biker:

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Just spoke with him, has 5 left

Thanks for the info. I'm at work right now and I cannot break free in time to call him right now (I know, how can I have time to check HD Forums and e-mail? Long winded meetings allow me to pull out my smart phone and surf/type), I shot him a e-mail to check on fitment for my older UC.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just spoke with him, has 5 left

Thanks for the info. I'm at work right now and I cannot break free in time to call him right now (I know, how can I have time to check HD Forums and e-mail? Long winded meetings allow me to pull out my smart phone and surf/type), I shot him a e-mail to check on fitment for my older UC.
You won't be disappointed. These things should be put on at the factory.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I was there on my ultra classic. I wasn't in the parade but I came in with a group of bikes and we had to stop and go a little but my bike was putting off some heat. Rear cylinder never cut out tho and I have it enabled.

·
Breaker of Things
3,357 Posts
Ok so how hot is too hot on my gauge? I don't have an temp gauge on my 2012 SG, just an air temp that goes up to 120? Mine was running about 110 this evening and my bike started running funny while sitting in traffic but I thought it was just kicking the back cylinder off while sitting because once I took off it ran fine? Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts