Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm sure we've all done it before. Pull up to a traffic light and wait and wait yet the signal never trips for you. I'd avoid certain lights at times because I knew I was going to have to run it. Now in Oklahoma they are trying to pass a law making it ok for motorcycles(bicycles) to legally turn on red at the riders discreation. I personally think it's an ok idea but it also scares me a inexperianced rider might not be able to judge speed and closing rate's of traffic. What's yall's opinion. Is it legal in any of your states?

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Double edged sword. I agree that for me I have done it and will do it. but I can see a new rider with litte experience getting in trouble. also how many rcrotch rockets do ya think will zip on by causing another driver to pannick and slam on the brakes at an intersection. Maybe the best solution is to ride where there are no lights? only make right hand turns.
Manamana!

·
Banned
5,305 Posts
Its been legal for all vehicles here for years....you have to stop first and then can turn right if there's no traffic coming...LOL

Doesn't seem to cause any problems :thumb

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Double edged sword. I agree that for me I have done it and will do it. but I can see a new rider with litte experience getting in trouble. also how many rcrotch rockets do ya think will zip on by causing another driver to pannick and slam on the brakes at an intersection. Maybe the best solution is to ride where there are no lights? only make right hand turns.
Manamana!
i ride with plenty of harleys that do that very thing! its legal here in NC. after 2 minutes its time to go. hows the cops going to know if i sit there 2 seconds or 2 minutes? i run lights everyday always have always will.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
"Road Plates" work on metal mass kind of detection, not weight.

At problematic traffic lights, look for a loop of wire buried in the pavement of the road near the stop line. This is called an "inductive-loop traffic detector"[2] that works somewhat like a metal detector, sensing any ferrous metal (steel, iron, etc.). Sometimes these sensors are improperly designed or adjusted, so they don't pick up on the presence of a smaller vehicle. These sensors do not detect the weight of a vehicle, but rather sense how much it disturbs an electromagnetic field.

My bike trips them almost every time, but my Honda didn't. (Too much bamboo??)

In PA you have to sit and wait until a car comes up behind you. No laws allow you to run the light.........ALTHOUGH.....I'm not gonna sit here and say I never have........:D

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
They are considering left turns on red is what I meant. I can see where it wasn't clear.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Vanilla Gorilla
1,384 Posts
Putting the kickstand down on the sensor would be safer than running a red light imho.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Lower your bike 2" front and rear to get the metal of the bike closer to the sensors. :lol8

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
Lower your bike 2" front and rear to get the metal of the bike closer to the sensors. :lol8
height ain't got nothing to do with it. its weight here in NC. it takes about 1000lbs to trip some of the sensors here. the newer ones only need 600lbs, so my buddies that put them in say.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
height ain't got nothing to do with it. its weight here in NC. it takes about 1000lbs to trip some of the sensors here. the newer ones only need 600lbs, so my buddies that put them in say.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm

I'm always trying to find the stupid sensors to set these off..hate these lights on my bike...

I usually make a right....then a U turn..to another right.

We have the sensors that work how the sensors work like in most states in the link Motive posted .... I guess NC is different than every one else.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
yea you know north carolina would be different. i got some friends that work for the state and they said recently , like in the last year they've been using a NEW type of system. i know on the new roads here the light trips fast. but on the old roads.......i just run it.

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
carry a FAT CHICK!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts