Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did what I thought was sufficient research prior to this mod but I guess not good enough. I installed Rush big Louie's with 2.5" baffles on my 2013 ultra ltd. it now has decel popping and occasional up shift backfire. I will double check for leaks at clamps but feel sure they are tight.
I plan too call Rush today but wanted To hear thoughts here.

Thanks
Dave

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Mine is doing the popping thing when I downshift but doesn't backfire. I installed Rush mufflers with 2.5" baffles. I also installed the Xied's. I though the decel popping was caused by unburned fuel and was a "rich" situation rather than lean. Not true? I was hoping that completing the stage 1 with the SE air intake would cure it.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Heres the deal. And there are alot of threads on the issue.

The stock efi system is running lean due to the epa standards moco has to adhere to. When you add pipes, it make it less muffled and you hear the decel pop and backfire more prevelent, and it runs a lil more lean.

Heres what i did. Stock 2013 flhtk, Rhinehart slipons, xieds and stage one ac, got it back to stock lean, had them do the stage one map at 1k and its running great now. Less money then a tuner and seems to be cooler now....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Heres the deal. And there are alot of threads on the issue.

The stock efi system is running lean due to the epa standards moco has to adhere to. When you add pipes, it make it less muffled and you hear the decel pop and backfire more prevelent, and it runs a lil more lean.

Heres what i did. Stock 2013 flhtk, Rhinehart slipons, xieds and stage one ac, got it back to stock lean, had them do the stage one map at 1k and its running great now. Less money then a tuner and seems to be cooler now....

Were the xieds on when they did the download or did you put them back on after the full stage 1 and DL?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to replace both clamps just to be sure, add the xieds and hope it is all good. Not sure if I will do the AC or not. In going through the search function and reading until my head wants to explode I saw consistently from dave63, schmidty and others that the stage one map is still 14.6:1 so I still wonder what they actually give you in that map.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Were the xieds on when they did the download or did you put them back on after the full stage 1 and DL?
I left them on... no issues, so yeh i figure this,
Stock bike, lean
Pipes, AC more lean
Pipes, AC and Xieds, back to stock lean
Pipes, AC, Xieds, and download, richer then stock, which is a good thing.

I have the plugs and the dealer said at my 1k, they look normal for a stock bike. Hence lean.....

All i know is its running better then it did...

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to replace both clamps just to be sure, add the xieds and hope it is all good. Not sure if I will do the AC or not. In going through the search function and reading until my head wants to explode I saw consistently from dave63, schmidty and others that the stage one map is still 14:6/1 so I still wonder what they actually give you in that map.
I went by my idea above, the map does change your timing curves and rev limit and gets the afr back to the 14.6/1 ( given the fact you have the stage one pipes and ac which leaned the bike out past the 14.6/1 to say 15.3/1) that gets the bike back to epa regs. So by doing all 4 i should be at a good 14.3/1 area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts