Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, as you can see from my post count I'm more of a lurker but now I've stumbled into a problem and need help.

I have a bone stock 2014 RK. I'm not going to change the cams, decat or replace the head pipe, or even do the AC. I've been doing days of research for slip ons and finally settled on Rush Big Louies with the 2" baffle, even ordered the things from DennisKirk.

Unfortunately in the meantime Ryan at Rush got back to me and said if I want to minimize bluing they recommend a 3" baffle minimum if I don't replace head pipes or decat. He also recommended no EFI tuner because it will flush the cat with too much fuel and it will run even hotter and so more potential to blue the pipes. That info is contrary to everything else I've been reading that a new bike should get a tuner no matter what you do to it, even minor changes.

I've heard the 3" baffle and it's too loud for me, the wife got 5 seconds of sound and said "No effin' way", I have to go with a smaller baffle but have zero interest in changing everything else on the exhaust just to get a bit more rumble.

So there it is. Am I stuck here or what, deal with a blued pipe, get a tuner, get a different brand of slip on, what should I do?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2014 road King also, I wasn't really in love with the idea of removing the cat but in the summer it was just way too hot on my right calf. And I mean HOT! I actually got a blister on my calf through my jeans. I put on a de catted stock header with the stock mufflers for a while but I didn't care for the sound. I installed Rush big Louie's with the 1.5" baffles and I'm very happy . not too loud and no more uncomfortable heat on my calf.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
send them back if you can. there are a ton of choices out there, V&H, Rinehart, etc that can give you what you want. I had Big Louies and they were just OK

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
+1 on getting rid of the cats for heat issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can send them back, DennisKirk has a seriously great return policy if you havent installed anything, in fact they just arrived and I won't even open the box until I have a solution to this problem.

So it looks like I'll have to spring for a new decatted head pipe whether I want to or not but would that also mean I would have to get a tuner? Suddenly all this is adding up to a lot of dough just to improve the wimpy stock sound.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
decatted pipes and slip ons are fine without a tune.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I would suggest getting a set of xieds or vieds if you decat your head pipe. This will richen it up a bit to make it run a bit cooler and wont hear as much decel popping. Also if you have any mechanical back ground you can gut the cat your self in a few hrs.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
Changing the stock mufflers for other than is NO need to make something sophisticated with other stuff ... If you have some other air filter than should be something to consider in changing the "main brain" of the motocycle. There you would have some poping but is nothing to be worried.

My 2008 Street Boby FXDB is still fine with Rush Mufflers with 1.75 Baffle from the beginig of his street life ...

Only that last year I fill in or change inside wool - fiber glass fill arround the bafflers ...

I took the Akrapovič wool because it is the best on the market and it is from Slovenia lika I am ;) :)

·
Asylum Inmate
12,742 Posts
I would suggest getting a set of xieds or vieds if you decat your head pipe. This will richen it up a bit to make it run a bit cooler and wont hear as much decel popping. Also if you have any mechanical back ground you can gut the cat your self in a few hrs.

+1 on this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ran the Rush Big Louies 3" baffle on my 14 RK, sounded great but started to discolor by head pipe after about 4-5 thousand miles, replacement pipe also discolored after maybe 2 thousand. Ended up doing a stage 1 using RCX 4" slipons & V&H Power Duals, so far so good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine runs fine with just the decat and big Louie's with 1.5 baffels. Not much popping and I'm not so sure that it is running as lean as everyone says. The tail pipes are a dark gray inside. I would think they would be tan or white if it was lean. I don't think a tuner is necessary for me but I rarely go above 4000 rpm's . No discoloration on mine so far either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts