Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Elbow grease, a good chrome polishing compound, and a comfy short stool. Or taller if you have a lift. And time.
Did I mention time?

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I had my spokes replaced with stainless the first time I had my tire changed.

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
I had my spokes replaced with stainless the first time I had my tire changed.
^This^ But he said without replacing. :dunno
Did it on my old Wide Glide. Only on the front though. Was running a solid rear mag.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Elbow grease, a good chrome polishing compound, and a comfy short stool. Or taller if you have a lift. And time.
Did I mention time?
Do you have a girlfriend or wife???

Hand her the polishing compound, a rag and stool and tell her what time you want dinner. Then go take a nap.

:eek

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Do you have a girlfriend or wife???

Hand her the polishing compound, a rag and stool and tell her what time you want dinner. Then go take a nap.

:eek
Tried that. She just looked at me and said, "Let me know when mine is done too".
She rides her own 02 Dyna. :(

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
How about a little Naval Jelly? Rub very little sparkling clean.

·
Super Moderator
4,354 Posts
Bike lift is a must for cleaning the wheels. Love just being able to sit in one place and just roll the wheel as I clean. My 97 Heritage had spokes and about every 2 years I would use a drill type buffer and just sit with some Mother's and some beer for a few hours.

·
red sport.
380 Posts
mine looked rusty come to find out they was collection bugs & road grim all I need to do was get a wheel brush at Wall Mark & give it a good brushing and wash using S-100.
the spokes is like the antenna on your car hardly gets cleaned.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
You know how to clean your spokes really well?
You don't if the bitch knows what's good for her.
( :
Anyway, once you polish them back up they will only get wasted again because of the galvanic corrosion occurring from the brake dust. That dust gets on everything and corrodes everything behind the front breaks.
On my Dyna, I had mags so no problem but all the other hardware turned gray and fuzzy. I ended up replacing every nut, bolt and screw on the bike I could with Stainless steel. Never had a problem with corrosion, torque, or galling ever.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Take pieces of aluminum foil, dip in water or coca-cola and stroke the spokes...yeah I said it! The aluminum will absorb the oxidation from the spokes. Works like a charm! Doesn't require much elbow grease...does require time though. My 09 bob had rusty spokes when I bought in a year ago. I did this once. Rust hasn't returned!

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
I've tried everything on mine including Pepsi and they are horrible. New rim for me coming soon.

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
No pepsi, coke.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
No Coke, Powder coat. :nod

·
Registered
529 Posts
Brillo pads ( dipped in water with rim wet), elbow grease, and time. Works great! Then some good polish, and regular cleaning. Rust will be inhibited and will take longer before it returns.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is neverdull and where do I get it?

Thanks for all of the responses. I have a lift and will give a few of these a shot. Rust is not terrible but it is there and it bugs me. I clean my spokes everytime i wash the bike but I took it to the beach and was there for three weeks, it got wet a couple of times so that and the salt air.

·
Registered
221 Posts
DHH, I bought my bike from a guy that lived 5 minutes from the ocean. He kept it parked outside under a cover. I keep it parked indoors and I'm not near the salt water. 1 year later I haven't had any rust return.

·
Banned
71 Posts
What is neverdull and where do I get it?

Thanks for all of the responses. I have a lift and will give a few of these a shot. Rust is not terrible but it is there and it bugs me. I clean my spokes everytime i wash the bike but I took it to the beach and was there for three weeks, it got wet a couple of times so that and the salt air.
Dollar Store Green scrubbing pads used with paste wax will clean and protect at the same time. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 33 Posts