Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this was supposed to be a thread about a nice ride I had over the weekend. In Virginia, we had a spell of awesome weather this weekend. Partly cloudy and temps in the 70's. This was after about 9 inches of snow early in the week. I said, screw it, lets ride. Lots of salt, but it was a great ride with some good friends. I came home to give my sled a good bath due to the salt. I was polishing up my pipes under the saddlebags, and... I was pretty shocked and amazed. There were a bunch of little rust pits concentrated under the right saddlebag ONLY. The left pipe is all shiny and looking brand new. Now I've only had the bike for about 3 months and bought it brand new. Has anyone had rust form on only one pipe? I RELIGIOUSLY bath my bike after a few rides and always after a ride involving salt. I'm gonna try some NeverDull tomorrow. What do you folks use to get rid of those little rust pits?

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Sounds like a bad chroming job and if those are new pipes let warranty take care of it. The only way to get rid of pitting is sandblasting and re-chroming.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone heard of the "aluminum foil" method? I read that you can take some foil, put some water on it, and rub on the rust spots.. Supposed to take the rust out, fill the pits and if you polish immediately afterwards, stop the rust provided the pits arent too deep. Anyone?? Thoughts??

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
Sounds like a bad chroming job and if those are new pipes let warranty take care of it. The only way to get rid of pitting is sandblasting and re-chroming.
+1

·
What?
3,256 Posts
If it's under warranty, let the warranty take care of it.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Yes I've heard of the aluminum foil method. It sucks.

Alsi, trying to get it warrantied with a bunch of scratches from aluminum foil on your chrome might be a task you could regret when some pimple faced sales turd says you caused it.

+2. I agree, in that it sounds like a bad chrome job. Let HD fix it and make it right.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all.. I contacted Supertrapp and they are gonna send me out a replacement pipe.. Glad I read these posts before I screwed up with the "aluminum foil" method.. :hitfan

·
Registered
40,762 Posts
:thumb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts