Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new here and new to the HD world to. i purchased a 1998 softail EVO custom from an auction, so i dont know much about the bike. it ran great, everything seemed fine. i took the bike apart to get everything from the frame up re-painted. i kept the motor and carb connected and it sat in the corner of my shop for about 2 months. yesterday was its first fire up since it was taken apart.

the only fuel i had at the moment of fire up was supreme mixed gas. it took a while to get going, and i actually had to blow into the tank and it would start. once it was started it was good at idle and would drive for about a mile then it would die. at an idle, if you pin it, it dies completely, but if you slowly rev it up it is okay. i dont understand why its doing this since i didnt do anything to the carb or motor themselves.'

i took the carb off the bike and everything seemed to be ok and clean, because i do know that the bike was in and got a carb rebuild. the float bowl was completely empty.i then took the fuel line off to make sure it wasnt plugged - it was clear. the only thing i didnt like was at the feed valve from the tank, the fuel would come out at a fast stream. but at the end of the hose it is very slow (the fuel line goes from the tank down to the lower side of the frame, then back up to the carb. kind of like the letter "J".) we filled the bowl up with fuel, attached it back to the carb, put the carb back on the bike and fired right up. but same thing as listed above.

any idea would be awesome as to whats wrong and how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
If it was me, the first thing I would do is pull the petcock and clean the screen. Also clean the petcock and fuel line.
Next thing might be to take the carb apart and clean it.

edit: What is supreme mixed gas?

·
Registered
42,161 Posts
at the feed valve from the tank, the fuel would come out at a fast stream. but at the end of the hose it is very slow
You answered your own question right there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you say petcock, i assume you are talking about the fuel valve on the tank? when i turn that valve to run fuel, the fuel comes out at a steady stream so i figured it wasnt the valve. i will have to try cleaning it though. what i ment by supreme mixed fuel was basically a fuel and oil mixed gas for a non oil injected motor

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
when you say petcock, i assume you are talking about the fuel valve on the tank? when i turn that valve to run fuel, the fuel comes out at a steady stream so i figured it wasnt the valve. i will have to try cleaning it though. what i ment by supreme mixed fuel was basically a fuel and oil mixed gas for a non oil injected motor
Yeah, the petcock is the fuel on/off/reserve valve. When you take it off, there should be a filter screen sticking up into the tank. It wouldn't hurt to take it out, inspect and clean it.
Running 2-stroke pre-mix is a bad idea. I would clean all of that out and get some plain gasoline. You might want to take a look at your plugs and clean or replace them after having run the pre-mix.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you are twisting the throttle and going no where off idle then you are not getting the fuel required from opening the throttle. All air and no gas. You may have an internally collapsed hose. Put a new fuel hose on. They are cheap by the foot. Any autoparts store can sell you the size. Just take the old one in and match up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay well i will start at the petcock and do a full cleaning on it and the tank itself (new fuel). i figure new plugs probably cant hurt either so ill do that as well. i will replace the fuel hose as well and if the problem still exists then i will have to look further into the carb. thanks!

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
Get rid of the fuel / oil mix and put some real gas in the tank. No wonder it doesn't want to run good ! ... :eek

·
Registered
42,161 Posts
Get rid of the fuel / oil mix and put some real gas in the tank. No wonder it doesn't want to run good ! ... :eek
I've also heard that Harleys don't like to run on diesel. Anyone know if that's true or not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kainam your funny! well i ended up putting new fuel in, replacing the hose, and cleaning out the petcock and filter. its noticably better but still wants to shut off when opening the throttle fast. if i open it slow its fine. i went to the S&S website and found the instructions on how to set the carb back to original settings, and to adjust it. did it 2-3 times and still get the same result... any idea?

·
Registered
42,161 Posts
Sorry, inside joke of the forum.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
Try adjusting the accelerator pump leaner or richer until you get a change in throttle response. If you adjust it richer and the response gets worse then go leaner. Note the starting point before turning the screw.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
kainam your funny! well i ended up putting new fuel in, replacing the hose, and cleaning out the petcock and filter. its noticably better but still wants to shut off when opening the throttle fast. if i open it slow its fine. i went to the S&S website and found the instructions on how to set the carb back to original settings, and to adjust it. did it 2-3 times and still get the same result... any idea?

Are you absolutely positive you have an E carb and not a B? B's will do that exact thing because of the lack of an accelerator.

-Rohan

·
Registered
42,161 Posts
Are you absolutely positive you have an E carb and not a B? B's will do that exact thing because of the lack of an accelerator.

-Rohan
Also if the accelerator pump is not adjusted correctly on the E carb.... :think

1 - 16 of 16 Posts