Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. I’m in the process of doing some serious updating on my 73 Sporty. The carb I have on her now is a Keihin my dad got off an 88 Sportster and it’s totally shot I’m planning on getting the S&S Super E this winter.
However I was reading that the S&S requires a 2 cable pull open/ pull closed Throttle cable. I have the original bars and cable that came on the bike with the cable inside the bars. Will the S&S work with this set up or do I have to change that?
This might be a dumb question it might not be. I’m not sure I have plenty of experience with dirt bikes but this is my first go around with a Harley

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
The Super E will work with only 1 cable. HOWEVER, since your cable is a push/pull through the bars, it's much more likely that the cable will have points that rub/bind and that type throttle system has a fair amount of friction involved, so a "close" cable should be used. My '68 shovelhead has that through the bar, screw type throttle and it uses a solid inner wire so it can be pushed closed if the carb. spring is not strong enough to close by itself.. A braided cable can't push

1 - 2 of 2 Posts