Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 96" Evo from S&S I was told that a stock starter would crank this engine. But I didn't ask about a stock battery. This engine has cranked hard from day one and when I hit the starter button I always cross my fingers and hope that it will crank over with enough power to still fire the plugs. Many times in cooler weather I've pushed it outside, put on all my clothes, and no-start. Does anyone have advice on a battery that will fit in the battery box on my 93 FLHS and put out more power than a stock AGM battery? I'm running a new All Balls stock starter and a new Interstate AGM battery, new aftermarket battery cables.

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Big Boar. Try batteries plus for a higher CCA battery.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
If the battery doesn't do the trick check out the high torque ring and pinion conversion.

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
I'm running a new All Balls stock starter
That's the problem right there.

I got bit by the same issue, got an All Balls starter that was tested at "1.6kW", doesn't crank as good as my stock 1.2kW did.

Before the starter change, the use of compression releases was optional. Now the use of compression releases is mandatory, hot or cold.

Next time I will be going with the HD 1.4kW starter that are stock on 2007 and newer TC.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I went from a 96 to a 107" and was told that I would not need compression releases but I did them anyway and I am glad I did.

Not too expensive but it may be your answer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went from a 96 to a 107" and was told that I would not need compression releases but I did them anyway and I am glad I did.

Not too expensive but it may be your answer.
Did you get the engine with the S&S releases or are they another brand? I think the S&S releases are electronic.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Did you get the engine with the S&S releases or are they another brand? I think the S&S releases are electronic.
I had releases installed by Kirby at Vee Twin Racing that Kainam has mentioned.
I am surprised that your S&S motor does not have their easy start cams.
Either way you can have releases installed. When Kirby install's releases he does not drill the release hole the same size (it is smaller) as the release itself. So if the release ever fails it can not fall into the cylinder.

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
Just got my releases in today from Goodson.

Fast service! 2 days from the time I ordered, to delivery at my door. :thumb

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my releases in today from Goodson.

Fast service! 2 days from the time I ordered, to delivery at my door. :thumb
Can you drill and install with the heads on the engine? I've been emailing the techs at S&S, they said there is room next to the sparkplugs for the aftermarket releases like you have. Also said that this engine won't work with their releases.

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
No, they need to be machined in.....

Once the heads have been machined, then yeah, you can remove and install the releases on the bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now The EVO Starts

:grinHere we are almost a year later and I want to finish this story. I bought Compu-Fire 10/84 starter gears and had Vee Twin Racing install the compression releases. I've been riding the bike all summer now and it always starts good as long as I remember to push the releases in. It's become a habit now, if I ride a bike without, I still reach down and try to push them in. The starter never sounds over-worked or strained and now has the reliability I've been looking for. Thanks for the information you all gave me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts