Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping thru the new J&P catalog and holy sh!t!!! Are S&S motors really worth about double the Revtech engines? I'm kicking around the idea of building a bobber/barhopper as a retirement gift to myself for when I retire from the AF in a few more years...:thumbsup

·
Retired citizen
22,930 Posts
I spotted the post " S&S vs Revtech " IMO ... there is no versus ... period ! There are some other specialty ( spelled bigger $buck ) engine mfgs. out there as good as S&S but S&S has been doing it longer and has more experience plus they have their own FI system colaborated with Daytona Twin Tech engineering their engine management system . All the others are carbed engines and carbed engines aren't going to meet EPA in the near future . Fuel injection and water cooled IS THE FUTURE .
Ultima is ok ... for now !

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I wasn't aware that S&S made engines in different styles: knucklehead, panhead, and shovelhead. I thought they only did the EVO style engine. Learn something new every day. :)

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I wasn't aware that S&S made engines in different styles: knucklehead, panhead, and shovelhead. I thought they only did the EVO style engine. Learn something new every day. :)
Yeah, the S&S Knuckle is what I was looking at for the project. But DAMN, almost $8k for the motor.

Thanks everyone! I knew that S&S was the quality king, but I didn't know if the difference was worth the extra dough. I'm a fan of quality, so I guess I'll plan on the S&S... :thumb

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Yeah, the S&S Knuckle is what I was looking at for the project. But DAMN, almost $8k for the motor.
Yeah, I saw the prices. I wonder how much a brand new H-D engine would cost, assuming they can be bought -- don't know that. (I'm not recommending an H-D engine for your build -- just curious.)

·
Registered
38,182 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was flipping thru the new J&P catalog and holy sh!t!!! Are S&S motors really worth about double the Revtech engines? I'm kicking around the idea of building a bobber/barhopper as a retirement gift to myself for when I retire from the AF in a few more years...:thumbsup
sounds like ya got some good advice.
as a former rev/wreck owner stay clear!
NEVER again.

you want ole skool look
Kiwi Indian Motorcycle Company

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
^^^^ GROSS I just threw up alittle......
I'd have to agree with that reaction. I'm not looking forward to the day when H-D no longer builds air-cooled engines. Hopefully it won't be soon . . . .

Question for anyone: Do the S&S motors have to pass EPA laws? Or do the the laws only apply to "complete" road-capable vehicles? BTW, does S&S build complete bikes for sale?

·
Retired citizen
22,930 Posts
That's why ya need to get an older carbed HD all paid for and hang on to it at all costs . Get a newer one if ya want but hang on to that old HD too !

·
Registered
38,182 Posts
I'd have to agree with that reaction. I'm not looking forward to the day when H-D no longer builds air-cooled engines. Hopefully it won't be soon . . . .

Question for anyone: Do the S&S motors have to pass EPA laws? Or do the the laws only apply to "complete" road-capable vehicles? BTW, does S&S build complete bikes for sale?
I believe EPA regulations only apply to complete bikes.

S&S do not build complete bikes, but many bike makers use S&S motors.

S&S Cycle, Inc. High Performance Parts for American V-Twins

The closest they come is their frames for their X-Wedge motors.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I believe EPA regulations only apply to complete bikes.

S&S do not build complete bikes, but many bike makers use S&S motors.

S&S Cycle, Inc. High Performance Parts for American V-Twins

The closest they come is their frames for their X-Wedge motors.
Thanks Kainam.

So, Paladin, what style of bike are you thinking of buillding? Chopper? Classic cruiser? Which would be cool with the knucklehead-style engine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts