Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a street glide 06 and i am having a problem with one of the lids keep coming open when iam driving around. I looked it over andeverything seems to be fight. Nothing bent or not working...any input or thouhts on this....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just bought a street glide 06 and i am having a problem with one of the lids keep coming open when iam driving around. I looked it over andeverything seems to be fight. Nothing bent or not working...any input or thouhts on this....
There are two tabs under the latch that you can bend up with a pair of pliers just bend them slightly.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I never ride with my lids unlocked, mine will pop open if I do.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If they "snap" closed really easy, tighten everything up. Sometimes the little ass screws that hold the hinge to the lid come loose, and make it easy for it to come open.

·
Banned
853 Posts
I w skynyrd and stangs. There's a lever that turns on the inside when you turn the key. You may want to take the "strap" that keeps the lid from flopping down when opened loose at one end (2 screws) and bend the lever to the appropriate position. Got to keep an eye on all those little screws. They will vibrate loose. I put a dab of blue loctite on mine. Just a dab w a toothpick to keep them tight.
You'll getr done.
Peace

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bikeless....for now!
5,111 Posts
I had the same problem before, when closing the lid be sure that the cloth strap with the HD logo on it is not pinched when closing the lid. Hook the rear and lift the front, put ur hand in there and make sure it is not pinched. Telltale sign is a crease in said cloth strap.

·
The Captain
76 Posts
I couldn't tell from the pic but does the bike have a solo seat on it? One of the guys I ride with has an aftermarket solo seat that prevents the lids from closing easily. They would pop open while riding when not properly closed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
has the spring in the latch mechanism broken? I have two of the springs go TU within a year. you have to literally take the latch mechanism apart to replace it

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
has the spring in the latch mechanism broken? I have two of the springs go TU within a year. you have to literally take the latch mechanism apart to replace it
This seems like it would make sense. please explain in more detail on how I go about this

·
Registered
525 Posts
This seems like it would make sense. please explain in more detail on how I go about this
You will know if that spring is broken!....with the lid on and the latch closed, put your finger under the latch....if the spring is broken it will hardly take any pressure for that latch to pop open... the springs are a Pain in the arse to replace.... i did mine last year...

·
Banned
853 Posts
If the springs are worn the lid should stay closed when locked because the lever that turns 90° inside the lid connected to the lock mechanism isn't effected by the springs. The lever slides under a lip to hold the lid down.
Just throwing that out there.
Look to see if your lever is turning when you turn the key to lock / unlock it. Look at the good lid also to compare.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have had all the small screws come loose butbut that just makes the lid wiggle when its open but the two fingers that snap over the hinge what is closed ,,, this is part of my 5000 mile check what I give the bike a once over after you've done a couple of inspections you'll find what comes loose regularly...

·
Registered
525 Posts
If the springs are worn the lid should stay closed when locked because the lever that turns 90° inside the lid connected to the lock mechanism isn't effected by the springs. The lever slides under a lip to hold the lid down.
Just throwing that out there.
Look to see if your lever is turning when you turn the key to lock / unlock it. Look at the good lid also to compare.

If the springs are broke or worn...the latch will lift up....the spring is the resistance you feel when you push the latch down....Mine was doing the very same thing...even if I hit a bump, the latch would lift up... replace the broken spring and it's good to go.... the springs are about 1.50 or so each if I remember correctly.... I think when he said "locked" he just meant pushed down into locked position, not physically "locked" with the key... maybe I missed something..?? And yes, if it is locked with the key, then the springs would have nothing to do with it coming open.....

·
Retired citizen
23,209 Posts
Like LYNYRD said, bend those two tangs slightly and the latch will get tighter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
took it all apart and replaced the spring... seems to take more pressure to snap the latch now. we will see if this does the trick

·
Registered
525 Posts
took it all apart and replaced the spring... seems to take more pressure to snap the latch now. we will see if this does the trick
I'm sure it will.....when they are new...they snap down with authority....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just wondering if you are catching the tabs from the lid to the bike correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts