Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This:

ImageUploadedByMO Free1428354220.831267.jpg

It grabs onto a wire and you twist about 3/4 turn to hold the bag on.

Today I was cruising along and for some reason decided to look back at my bags. The front connector on the left bag was gone.

Luckily, the wind didn't get behind the bag and rip it off.

I pulled over, found the connector in the bottom of the bag and reinstalled it.

Could this be a recurring problem? Maybe I just didn't get it on tight enough.

That could be bad.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Do the bolt on mod. 5/16x1 1/2 inch bolt and fender nuts. Get them from Lowes about 11 dollars. There is a thread here with all the part numbers.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I had one come loose one time but figured i must not have twisted it hard enough. Hasn't happened again and I like being able to remove them without tools.

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
I had one come loose one time but figured i must not have twisted it hard enough. Hasn't happened again and I like being able to remove them without tools.

I just carry a 1/4 Allen wrench. Removal just takes a minute.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

The criminals thank you . :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I put the threaded knobs on mine, they don't come loose and are easy to take on and off. If you twist those pins to hard they will tweak and be useless. Have never actually had one come off but proper alignment of the saddlebag to the latch before inserting and twisting the pin are important and not forcing the pin through.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Where exactly do you ride/park again . :hello

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just bolted mine yesterday, never had a problem but after reading the thread on this decided it was a good idea.

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Gotta have the fender washers on those pins or they will always loosen up.
No washer on the pin in the OP's pic.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe this is why. These are hard leather bags (2009 FLHRC)

See the rubber "grommet" that appears to be permanently attached to the inside of the bag?

ImageUploadedByMO Free1428426974.879093.jpg

Anyway, I'm on my way to the hardware store to get the parts mentioned in the other thread. I'm not worried about tamper proof as I can't lock my bags anyway.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I asctually did the mod and went a step further to drill out the heads of the bolts to attach the loop from the oem to it so I have the security of bolts, but convenience of hand removal... also the 1/4 turns can be popped with a flat tip screw driver fast and bags be stolen...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotcha. I just bought my parts at Farm & Fleet for under $5. And I did buy the washers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts