Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on the thread about locking/securing saddle bags! My riding buddy had his bags stolen off his Road Glide while at work and I remember reading a thread about what some guys are doing to prevent this. Thanks in advance!

Ranger Rick....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stolen Bags!

I need some help on the thread about locking/securing saddle bags! My riding buddy had his bags stolen off his Road Glide while at work and I remember reading a thread about what some guys are doing to prevent this. Thanks in advance!

Ranger Rick....

·
Poser Member # 99
17,145 Posts
On my electra I removed one of the quick release fastners inside the bag and got a 1/4 bolt a couple of 1/4 fender washers and some Nyloc nuts. Then replaced the rear release with the nut bolt washer combo you can do both fastners on each bag , but you will need a couple of wrenchs to remove if nessecary on the road. I always have a tool asst in the bike , It's hard now for theft of the Bags

Good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
I replaced one of the clips with bolt to deter anyone trying to just cut off the wire from outside. I do this when I go on long distance trips and when I have to park at hotels and public area. I believe there was a sticky or a posting showing how to do this in this forum.

However, if anyone picks the lock and get into the bag, it is not very useful. Thieves will get it no matter what if they really want it.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
I ordered & installed the Brutkus (or something like that) kit. I think it cost around $30, give or take. Yes, I probably could have gone to a hardware store and fiddled around till I got suitable bolts, etc., but the kit came with exactly what was needed, no fit or other problems to deal with. Takes a special tool to unscrew their bolts--doubt if many thieves carry the right one. So, now I'm comfortable my bags won't fall off and I think most thieves will be deterred. Nothing is going to deter the thief that really wants them bad enough and who has stolen bags before. I have the needed tool duct taped to the inside of a bag so when I need it I know where it is--and most thieves who got into the bag probably wouldn't see the tool. So it takes a bit longer to take the bags off but not much longer--and I don't take them off that often anyway.

Whatever you decide to do--go ahead and do it. No sense in waiting.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Here's my low cost solution. It will deter an "opportunist", but a real thief will take what he wants. I suggest a shoulder bolt instead of the full threaded pictured, as it's easier on the rubber grommet. The spring clip and "U" bolt both just slip on/off. I only use 1 per side.

Attachments

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
I bought 4 screws, washers, and "U-nuts" at Ace Hardware for $8.

I used 5/16ths hardware, when selecting U-nuts get the long ones, meaning when they clip on the bracket the reach alittle farther in order to center in the hole.

U-nuts Search U Nut - Grainger Industrial Supply

·
Registered
6 Posts
got the Brukus kit about a year ago....so far, so good. Prob can do something cheaper, but this is simple and gives you everything you need.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
My Locking Oil Plug

Gotta leave the bolt a little loose so the rubber shock absorber can work. You can turn the bolt for hours and nothing will come loose.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
Nice idea but I think the shock absorber shouldn't be crushed flat to get the lock ring to function. But on the other side... if the screw were longer, and almost touching the other side of that bracket, it would make the perfect tie down point for straps or bungie cords.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here's my low cost solution. It will deter an "opportunist", but a real thief will take what he wants. I suggest a shoulder bolt instead of the full threaded pictured, as it's easier on the rubber grommet. The spring clip and "U" bolt both just slip on/off. I only use 1 per side.
I did the same thing on mine a few months back. The only difference is I used hex button head bolts. An allen wrench is needed to remove them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts