Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys that have replaced the OEM type 1/4 turn bag retainers with a knob type threaded screw have any issues with those coming loose from road vibes? I have a set here and am a bit leery of installing just for that reason. How tight you cranking them?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Any of you guys that have replaced the OEM type 1/4 turn bag retainers with a knob type threaded screw have any issues with those coming loose from road vibes? I have a set here and am a bit leery of installing just for that reason. How tight you cranking them?
Use one drop of 242 LocTite and tighten enough to squish the rubber washer somewhat . Elbow torque says about 10-15 Ft/Lbs .

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A thief can use a small screwdriver and get in behind the lid and turn the quarter turns to remove the saddlebag.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Where did you get those? I've been thinking about some but wasn' t sure who sold them.

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Well so you would think , I must had been to my Lowes 6 or 7 times and they were always out of the stuff .

Got tired of it and ordered this kit on ebay , 4 days later they were waiting in my mail ,$18.99 a couple bucks more than Lowes was going to be using bolts instead of these knob style fasteners.
Just so you know, parts from Lowes are less than 7 bucks.

That kit that you bought can be made up for less than 7 bucks also. It is a set of socket head screws with drive on handles (Shear-Loc ), fender nuts and 3 cent washers .

Knobs Only

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Just so you know, parts from Lowes are less than 7 bucks.

That kit that you bought can be made up for less than 7 bucks also. It is a set of socket head screws with drive on handles (Shear-Loc ), fender nuts and 3 cent washers .

Knobs Only
Thanks for the link!

--

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks for the link!

--
Get ya a box of sockethead bolts, a box of handles , a box of washers, and a box of fender nuts. You too can make money selling "kits" to folks on fleabay . ( you can order all of it from Enco , total cost per kit is only $4.85 ) :thumb :)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Software always costs more than hardware.

--

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well so you would think , I must had been to my Lowes 6 or 7 times and they were always out of the stuff .

Got tired of it and ordered this kit on ebay , 4 days later they were waiting in my mail ,$18.99 a couple bucks more than Lowes was going to be using bolts instead of these knob style fasteners.
These work great, much better than stock clips. I can ride with peace of mind. Read in another forum bags were flying off until they got these. Also with the Switchback (previous bike) its a big problem and had to tie wrap it.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I've run the screws with fender washers for over 2 years. Never used Loc-tite, never had one loosen up. The squish pressure of the grommet keeps them from backing off. I use one bolt (on the rear fastener) and one quarter-turn pin per bag. Quick, easy amd secure. Last month, I took advantage of the link Webco provided to order the knobs for my allen head bolts. Thanks, Web. They work great and much easier than digging up an allen wrench to remove the bags.

--

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've run the screws with fender washers for over 2 years. Never used Loc-tite, never had one loosen up. The squish pressure of the grommet keeps them from backing off. I use one bolt (on the rear fastener) and one quarter-turn pin per bag. Quick, easy amd secure. Last month, I took advantage of the link Webco provided to order the knobs for my allen head bolts. Thanks, Web. They work great and much easier than digging up an allen wrench to remove the bags.

--
Glad I could be of help . :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another option instead of the knobs was I took and used shoulder bolts and then drilled the heads and took the wire clip off the old one and put on the shouldered bolt

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I've run the screws with fender washers for over 2 years. Never used Loc-tite, never had one loosen up. The squish pressure of the grommet keeps them from backing off. I use one bolt (on the rear fastener) and one quarter-turn pin per bag. Quick, easy amd secure.
--

This is also how I do it. I use a standard thumb screw on the front of each bag. My saddlebags are not "theft proof" they are "theft resistant".

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wish I read this thread before my bag went flying off my 14 Road King Friday; hit by a car, and then run over by more. Biggest piece was the size of my fist. And there were some costly items in there smashed. No one pulled over, but another H-D rider; not even the guy that smacked it. I would have! So no more trust in the stock system! And thank you all. When my new bag comes in it will be FASTENED!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts