1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts needed:

Color-Matched Saddlebag Lid Spoiler Kit 58606-11DGX

Tools needed:

Drill
1/16", 9/32", 3/8" drill bits
Phillips screwdriver
4mm allen wrench (I know, I know... but that was the one I got from the toolbox, you can get the equivalent non-metric allen wrench)

Remove the front fairing... kidding, kidding!!! I have removed the front fairing so many times that I could not resist :rollin

You will need to cut out the templates from the instructions. I made a copy of the instructions before cutting since these are double sided and I would have lost a page of instructions... Harley, next time leave the templates in their own page... :loco

This is what is included in the box with the spoilers:

Everythings comes disassembled... so start by installing the LED lights to the spoiler.

Now... and I dare you to note curse while installing the rubber gasket... Insert the gasket in place (wire goes in middle hole of gasket). Once you have it in place, remove the paper covering the adhesive and align it with the holes... sounds easy, but it is a pita to do since the gasket will touch and adhere to the spoiler immediately, making it a bit difficult to align it... Anyway... best of luck on this...

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As Marion mentioned this is the critical part... cut the templates and using painters tape put them on the saddlebag lids. Use a point of reference to measure from. You really want them both installed on the same spot.

Once I was satisfied that the templates were set, I put some more tape to make sure those were not going anywhere...

Start with a small drill bit... instructions mentions a 1/16" drill bit... I went with a 1/8" - Then drill with a 9/32"

Repeat on the other side and then remove the templates and insert the wires in the middle hole... you will need to insert each wire (two at the most) at a time as all three pins will not go in at once...

Use the rubber washer and metal washer with the 3/16" bolt and fix the spoiler in place. You will have to press a little to get the rubber gasket to compress.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drill the hole on the saddlebag. Instructions asks that you drill a 3/8" hole in front of the shock absorber area, 2" from the lip of the saddlebag.

Once you have drilled the hole on both sides, insert the rubber grommet in the hole.

same drill... insert the wires, not all pins will go in at once, so do it one at a time...

Insert the pins in the plug... White in 1, Red in 2, Black in 3

Remove the seat... search for the connector. Mine was on the middle of the bike but a little towards the left side. It was plugged with a rubber cap. Remove the rubber cap, insert the female end from the splitter. Then insert each of the plugs from the lights of the spoilers into the splitter cable. Use the provided tie wraps to organize and hold the wires in place. I forgot to take photos of this... will take the seat out, snap a few and update the thread.

Test that everything works... install the seat back. Sit back with your favorite install drink and admire your work.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Looks great! Nice job!
If you decide to add anything else electrical (Like driving/fog lights) you will have to get a Y Connector so the saddlebag lights and the new accessory can share the same plug on the bike. I'm using the ACC switch for my MotoLights and needed the Y plug connector.

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
i like them man they look damn good

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
Can you still remove the saddle bags? Is there a quick disconnect that is easy to access without removing the seat every time? Great Instructions by the way!

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
You know I'm gonna bust yer balls. Whatcha need those fer parked in the garage? lol Looks great by the way.....

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you still remove the saddle bags? Is there a quick disconnect that is easy to access without removing the seat every time? Great Instructions by the way!
The connectors are under the seat... so right now I would have to remove the seat to get to them. But that is just two bolts away (one, if I get rid of that strap).

That could be a good future mod. Get weather proof plugs and make an easier quick-disconnect that does not require removing the seat.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You know I'm gonna bust yer balls. Whatcha need those fer parked in the garage? lol Looks great by the way.....
:rollin Dude!!

I like working in the garage. It is my escape from everything... welding, sanding, paint, grinding, rebuilding this, never finishing that... :laugh

I needed a floor that I could clean easy and would still looks good. I could not afford a checkered floor (that is really what I want) so I went for inexpensive porcelain tiles from Home Depot. At .78 a tile it is strong, resists all kind of sh* a throw at it... even if something falls and chips the tile, since it is porcelain and the same color all the way through, you can't see it, not slippery, etc.

Took me a weekend and a few afternoons but I got it done. A few shelves, a few white panels, some channels to hold the doors, and voila! a better looking man's cave.

So far, with all the stuff I have done, they still look good when clean.

Even drilling them for the lift did not do any damage to them... strong and cheap tiles...

A few weekends back, helping a friend fix his Fiat.

With my son, starting to teach him to love tools and get his hands dirty, hehehehe You will have to excuse my father in law... he saves everything!! And puts it to use... check out where we store the Allen wrenches... a leopard bag that my mother-in-law threw in the trash... God help me...

the force is strong with this one Luke...

I have several projects...

81 Fiat,
83 911,
91 911

Nothing road worthy at this time... projects just sitting in the garage waiting to finish the work, or waiting on cash to buy the parts needed to finish the work. So stop busting my balls man!! LOL, I just gave you the links to all the projects... go have fun. :D

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
I have zero doubt you love to tinker And ya got some AWESOME toy's. I think ya know it's all in fun.. If not... It's all in fun. BUT at some point you gotta put some miles on that sucker or I'm headin to florida and do it fer ya. Just too sweet a ride to be sittin. But I think you know that too. Just not enough hrs in the day sometimes.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have zero doubt you love to tinker And ya got some AWESOME toy's. I think ya know it's all in fun.. If not... It's all in fun. BUT at some point you gotta put some miles on that sucker or I'm headin to florida and do it fer ya. Just too sweet a ride to be sittin. But I think you know that too. Just not enough hrs in the day sometimes.
I know it is all in good fun, no worries there.

And I will, I will put miles on it... I want to crash at a friend's house in Atlanta... trying to see when I can get away from work to do so...the idea is then to ride to the tail of the dragon from his house... in the mean time I just put 45 miles at a time when taking it to work :nod

Next weekend we take both bikes out to a ride to Saint Augustine :thumbsup

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
Wach
Have you ever thought of shooting video for YouTube?
I can see you know your way around photoshop and cameras.
I,d bet you could do a good job there too.

Hey what was the Porsche in another pick? It looked like it had a red reflector wraping around the rear.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love St. Augustine, Casa Monica! Awesome hotel...I would love to live there...thats where I took my avatar picture...
You took the photo of your avatar!!!:whoa :drool

You need to share a higher res of this one and the one before it... lucky son of a gun... :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts