Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put saddlebags on my Sportster. Do the throw-over style damage the paint on the fender? Also, As much as I like the Harley products, they are pretty expensive. Are there other brands that are less expensive that people really like?

Thank you.

Kim Nicholas

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i have cortech throw overs that i LOVE

no paint damage and on and off in a minute or so ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did it.

My sportster had throw overs and yes it did damage the paint under the seat. That doesnt really matter to me, what did matter is the scuffing it did to the sides of the fender. What i did was bought mounting brackets for saddlebags and removable sissy bar (harley brand) and did some trail blazing. I am sure you can get the same bag kit without the option for removable sissy bar. I cut the throw over part out of the bags. I punched some holes in the bags and used a grommet kit to reinforce the holes. Here are some pics of the finished product. These aren't harley bags. Just soft leather aftermarket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you need any further guidance or parts I used, as they were not all harley parts, some came from the hardware store, let me know. Thanks for the compliment on the bags.

·
Registered
97 Posts
JBAKE3,
I like the looks of those bags. Are they actually leather. The HD bags are a little costly for me, and I want real leather bags not imitation. Did you use the HD bag mounts?

Too many questions I know, but I'm looking for inexpensive, not cheap. What would you estimate you total investment. I don't mean to get too personal, but I'm on a tight budget. I appreciate your information.
Thanks...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mustang

The bags are real leather, but I don't know what they cost as they were on the bike when I bought it. They were, however, throw over bags at the time. I converted them to what they are now. I did use harley docking hardware with a bit of my own engineering added.
It really depends on what setup you have now as to how much it is going to cost. Notice the tail lights are at the rear of the fender now instead of on the side of fender. If you have to buy the kit to move the lights that will be extra. Also I had a permanent sissy bar originally, I changed it to a removable. If you are not worried about a removable sissy bar or just dont have one, that will make it cheaper. Here is the parts list and prices from chicago harley. Can't help you with the bag prices though sorry. I cant even tell you the brand because the tag was on the throw over section of them and I cut it off and threw it away. Here is the list.

Rear Turn Signal Relocation Bar 68732-02A $59.96

Sportster Detachable Side Plates 52710-07 111.96

Docking Hardware for XL Saddlebags 53544-04 27.96

4 teflon spacers from lowes/ $3.00

8 SS Flat washers from lowes/ 5.00

Grommet kit from lowes $6.00

I also had to buy a new sissy bar as the stock sissy bar does not fit properly into the detachable side plates. I cant seem to find the part number for that sorry.

In conclusion you can see if you aren't worried about the detachable aspect of the sissy bar or just dont have one this can be done for very little money. All you really need are the Bags, the docking hardware(that will be a different part number if using non-detachable sissy bar or don't have one at all), a signal relocation kit and a few pieces of hardware from lowes.

I am sorry I cant tell you about the bags I think that is really what you wanted to know about. Sorry if I got a little long winded. Hoep this helps.

Also I would suggest getting all the part numbers for yourself, some of the kit instruction sheets have dual part numbers, (like the rear blinker relocation kit) and I am not sure exactly what kit I have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
JBAKE3,
Thanks for the info. You gave me more than I expected. I will try to replicate your engineering. Great job. I hope I can do as well.
Thanks again,
Mustang Marvin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad to help

No problem. Wasn't to hard. Biggest thing is making the holes in the bag straight, level and the position you want. I am sure it will turn out looking good.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Standard hardware can mount bags without spending 8.5 million dollars for HD mounts. Of course, they're not quick release, but i can take mine off and on in less than 10 minutes, including replacing the fender mounting bolts with the stock hardware.

These WERE throw over bags. I cut the leather "throw over" section long enough to be folded back and over the mounts. Bag rails should be used to prevent damage to bags, bike and prevent creating a hazard with the bag getting caught in the wheel or suspension.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi guys from the other side of the world: I just posted a similar question before seeing this thread. You guys have done a good job. I will try to replicate it. Q1: Any problem with the bag beeing so close to the exhaust? Q2: It seems I have to forget about anyone riding behind me. There doesnt seem to be any more space for her legs, Correct?
Q3: Do you feel that the bike is getting heavier on the highway?
I hope these are not too many questions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use throw over bags but have bag supports mounted to keep them away from the fender sides as well as the pipes. Where they go under the seat, I just wrapped a piece of flannel around where the bags tie together and so far not marks on the fender at all

·
Registered
18 Posts

Hi guys from the other side of the world: I just posted a similar question before seeing this thread. You guys have done a good job. I will try to replicate it. Q1: Any problem with the bag beeing so close to the exhaust? Q2: It seems I have to forget about anyone riding behind me. There doesnt seem to be any more space for her legs, Correct?
Q3: Do you feel that the bike is getting heavier on the highway?
I hope these are not too many questions.
I have no problems with being to close to the exhaust and I have no rigid frames behind the bags. It all depends I think on where you put your holes in the bags for mounting. You definitely want to measure 10 times cut once, lol. A level and someone with a sharp eye is also helpful. Same thing with leg room, depends on where you cut the mounting hole in your bags. To far back and your bags will be to far forward. As for the weight, I load my bags down and don't feel the difference. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have no problems with being to close to the exhaust and I have no rigid frames behind the bags. It all depends I think on where you put your holes in the bags for mounting. You definitely want to measure 10 times cut once, lol. A level and someone with a sharp eye is also helpful. Same thing with leg room, depends on where you cut the mounting hole in your bags. To far back and your bags will be to far forward. As for the weight, I load my bags down and don't feel the difference. Hope this helps.
Yes very helpful, many thanks. :thumb

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I did the installation, I photographed every step.
Unfortunately. I've since deleted the photos :mad:
The HD kit includes all the hardware necessary, though.
Since my bike has that 'quick detach' sissy bar, I had to buy some longer chrome-plated bolts for the rearmost mounting hole.
If you google 'mount saddlebags on 05 HD Sportster' you just might see a photographic record another rider did...I found it and used it to check my installation.
Hope these photos also help.
By the way, I hate flapping bags, so I drilled tiny holes in the inside walls of the bags, and used small, black quick-ties to anchor the bags to the brackets.
Since I used the 'throw over' section of the leather bags, my seat also anchors them.
A pretty long installation process, but real sturdy.
Don
:nod

·
Zicke
2,810 Posts
Bought these bags some months ago...they are made for Sporties but also fit well on my Dyna. They are easy to install and very light. I think you can put enought stuff in it for a weekend trip.... and they weren't very expensive!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts