Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and just purchased a 07' FXSTB Night Train. Love the bike, hate the seat. I have been looking around at seats and can't decide between the Saddlemen Explorer or the HD Sundowner. They look almost identical. I know the Saddlemen has some sort of gel but other than that I don't see difference. I am getting awful tailbone pain after 40 miles or so and want a seat to help with that. I have both stock and sundowner for my V-Rod and the sundowner for it is ok but not great. Anyone know what seat would be better? Thanks for your help.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
You can save a butt load of cash by pulling the cover and shave a tailbone channel in the seat and then shape it to fit you better. I just use a fillet knife to remove larger sections then a 3" air sander with an 80 grit disc to finesse the rest. Spray some high tack on it and cover with 1/2 low density foam to smooth it all out and restaple the cover, pulling it tight as you go. trim any excess. May sound daunting, but, it really is not bad at all. It's easy to wrap the cover back on, set it on the bike and keep "fitting it to you" as you go. Sheet of 1/2" foam is about $20, high tack maybe $10. Small electric stapler from Amazon with 3/8" staples maybe $35.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have the Sundowner on a 2006 Fatboy. I just had it custom fitted and memory foam added. Not cheap (~$240 or so between shipping and everything) but well worth it. The result was awesome.

Can't comment on the other seat and maybe you can get the same result by trying what Yon suggested. But for me, if I tried that I'd probably end up buying a new seat anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried a total of 5 seats on my RK over a month or so period last fall, one of them a Sundowner but still didn't cut it for me, sold it on eBay, I'm happy with my Saddlemen Explorer Ultimate, its the only seat with a fair amount of support. With that said, quality control at Saddlemen is not the greatest, so buy from a place that allows exchanges in case you get one with messed up stitching etc. Other then that, great value.

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
One of my seats I own is the Saddlemen Explorer, it is VERY comfortable. It offers great back support, puts you about an inch lower and I dont find myself adjusting during a ride to find comfort. You honestly park your a$$ on the saddle and go, highly recommend it and it is also looks good, not too large so you dont get the appearance of an ez-chair on your bike...lol

Here is the Saddlemen Explorer on my Deluxe
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts