Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a thread this AM about a member having a bit of a problem when he had to brake and things didn't work out too well. I had to go hunt for this video, but I have to say that having watched it a few times and then gone out and practice what it teaches, I have saved my butt more than a few times because of it. So here 'tis:

Hope this does for you as much good as it has for me.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Cool.....I will try to practice that..good info right there...:thumbsup

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I'am bad about jabin on the front brake..like in a gas station...and falling over....not latey though.....only do it with the OL on the back...never fails..:rofl::whoa

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
thanks for posting that. great video

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Did that twice in the rain at MSF class, let's hope its the last time. Glad I was using their bikes. Will have to practice that next time I am out.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
When you have car tires smoking in all four lanes in front of you, triple S stands for "sh1t!, sh1t!!, sh1t!!!!

Seriously though, it does work, it just takes some nerve to ease into the brake when you HAVE to stop.

I use the front brakes all the time. I actually use both every time for normal braking. So it isn't a stretch for me to reach for the front instinctively.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
If you practice using the front brake you can get on the brake pretty fast without locking it up. If you do feel a lock up release the brake, straighten your line, and get on the front brake again. All the while you should be on the rear brake as hard as you can without locking it up either.

In most crashes where a cruiser-style motorcycle is involved, the rider never touches the front brake. Believe it or not, most riders don't even attempt to maneuver around the threat. This is indicative of riders who have never trained to stop quickly or to maneuver around an obstacle. This is probably why motorcycle riders who have experience on dirt bikes are in far fewer crashes than those who don't.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good info & video. Thanks for sharing...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Thanks for the post.. one of my all time bad habits too. I'll squeeze till I hear that rear tire squeal, let up and go for it again, all depends on the pucker moment.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
When I ask someone why they don't use their front brake, the reply is almost always that they are afraid of flipping the bike end over end. This piece of misinformation is so ingrained in the Harley community that it is accepted as undeniable fact by most riders, even many who use their front brake.

That reason alone is enough for me to support putting abs brakes on all motorcycles. ABS, when properly implemented, lets a rider grab as much brake as he can without fear of locking up either wheel. ABS provides experienced riders with enhanced braking, particularly on wet roads as well as giving less experienced riders the confidence to aggressively brake their bikes in emergency situations.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
So if I understand this right if you happen to lock up the front just get off the break quickly and you shouldn't go down.?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts