Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
I tell my wife to just stay straight up on the bike. If the bike leans she will be leaning but I don't need any extra lean from her.
Geez, to think I rode for 20 years the wrong way... gravity naturally leans, I would just look over the pilots shoulder in the direction of the lean.
Sorry I took this thread a little bit off topic

Registered
I've never rode 2-up before, and don't plan to anytime soon. Wife may take the MSF next year, if not, I'll look at trikes in a few years as we want to do some cross-country travelling. I've just heard stories about pillions who threw a bike out of balance by not leaning or worse yet, being all nervous and jerky on the back. I'd wager that on a 900-pound bike it probably doesn't make as much difference. I'd take him at his word, sounds like he just wants you to relax and enjoy the ride. Of course, old habits die hard and you'll probably lean more than you intend to. Sounds like a good man. (y)
Yes for sure I take him at his word I need him to be comfortable with me on the back it was just different. Hes a good man, 25 years this year. 馃
Sorry for taking the thread a little off topic oh, maybe will be good for the original posters passenger to read also.

Registered
Yes for sure I take him at his word I need him to be comfortable with me on the back it was just different. Hes a good man, 25 years this year. 馃
Sorry for taking the thread a little off topic oh, maybe will be good for the original posters passenger to read also.
20 years here, gets better every day! :cool:

Registered
I have to throw this in. One of the girls that we have been cruising with wears long skirts, Stevie Nicks clothing. That thing is flapping in the Wind I was just waiting for it to go into the rear tire. Later I mentioned to her that she should at least tuck it under her legs, i said that things going to get stuck in that wheel and pull you right off that bike. She said she had never thought of that which kind of shocked me. Was kind of surprised her ole man was allowing her to wear it, dangerous for both of them. I know that I sometimes wear tank tops and need to cover my arms but damn.

Registered
I have to throw this in. One of the girls that we have been cruising with wears long skirts, Stevie Nicks clothing. That thing is flapping in the Wind I was just waiting for it to go into the rear tire. Later I mentioned to her that she should at least tuck it under her legs, i said that things going to get stuck in that wheel and pull you right off that bike. She said she had never thought of that which kind of shocked me. Was kind of surprised her ole man was allowing her to wear it, dangerous for both of them. I know that I sometimes wear tank tops and need to cover my arms but damn.
Next time you see her, show her this video (warning- semi graphic content):

I've been down, it's not fun. I don't judge other's gear choices (or lack thereof), but it's always better to pack a change of clothes than to have no protection when going down.

Registered
Next time you see her, show her this video (warning- semi graphic content):

I've been down, it's not fun. I don't judge other's gear choices (or lack thereof), but it's always better to pack a change of clothes than to have no protection when going down.
Yeah everyone should watch this video. I have seen worse but this just makes me cringe. Thank you for the visual reminder and I will show this to her.
I normally mind my own business and don't judge people or say anything for not gearing up if they choose not to. They could easily judge me back for not always wearing a jacket.

Registered
Yeah everyone should watch this video. I have seen worse but this just makes me cringe. Thank you for the visual reminder and I will show this to her.
I normally mind my own business and don't judge people or say anything for not gearing up if they choose not to. They could easily judge me back for not always wearing a jacket.
I've only been wearing jeans and a t-shirt recently due to the heat/humidity, but I'm going to remedy that by ordering a pair of riding jeans and starting to wear my Tourmaster jacket for every ride until it's cool enough outside for the leather. I commute to work on the bike every day that it's not raining out, so maybe I'll break out with the overpants as well.

We're all adults. Everyone makes their own decisions. We know the risks involved, but as humans, it's hard to see someone in a skirt and not feel something because you know if they go down, it's going to be a really bad day. I'm confident in my riding ability that I'm not going to do anything stupid to put myself in jeopardy, but I don't trust cagers one bit.

Registered
I've only been wearing jeans and a t-shirt recently due to the heat/humidity, but I'm going to remedy that by ordering a pair of riding jeans and starting to wear my Tourmaster jacket for every ride until it's cool enough outside for the leather. I commute to work on the bike every day that it's not raining out, so maybe I'll break out with the overpants as well.

We're all adults. Everyone makes their own decisions. We know the risks involved, but as humans, it's hard to see someone in a skirt and not feel something because you know if they go down, it's going to be a really bad day. I'm confident in my riding ability that I'm not going to do anything stupid to put myself in jeopardy, but I don't trust cagers one bit.
Agree!!!
The other reason I said something to her was because they tend to ride right in front of us, makes it a dangerous situation for us as well. Also she is kind of new to riding, she told me she appreciated me telling her and now on all our rides her skirt is tucked.

Try'n to behave
Excellent advice and post!!!!

As a side note, I have a question for you. I rode many miles on the back of a bike from growing up riding on my dad's to having boyfriends in a high school and now my husband. I was taught many years ago to lean in a little into the curves, not crazy leaning just leaning into the curves.
My husband does not want me to do that, he basically wants me to just sit on the back and enjoy the ride. I still do lean in a little but why would he not want me to lean? He's got my weight which I'm about 125 lbs on the back of a 900-pound bike. I know it's not from lack of experience as he has had motorcycles his whole life but this is very foreign to me.
I will tell you why I tell my passengers not to lean in a turn; The amount of lean needed in a turn is variable on turn radius, speed, tires, load, angle of attack....so much. If a passenger leans too much or at the wrong time it can throw off the dynamics of the turn and how the bike is responding which makes me have to counter adjust for it. I don't say this next part in any form of callousness toward my passenger, but in all reality they are nothing more than a lot of baggage on the back of the bike. Bags don't lean and I can make a turn just fine with them on there.

OT: Here is a funny/almost scary story that happened to me last February when my mom came down to visit me.

She wanted to go for a ride so we headed out on the bike. I have a get back whip on the right side of the bike attached to the brake lever. I don't think about it because it doesn't ever bother me, but apparently it was smacking her in the wind so she grabbed it and was holding it tight. Well, this caused the front brakes to be applied and the bike was wanting to counter steer. In my head I am thinking; "why is this bike pulling so hard to the left all of a sudden, why am I slowing down so much" until I look over and see what's happening. I took it off immediately. That could have had dire consequences had she yanked on it suddenly. So the lesson here is; if you have a get back whip, take it off when you have a passanger.

Registered
I will tell you why I tell my passengers not to lean in a turn; The amount of lean needed in a turn is variable on turn radius, speed, tires, load, angle of attack....so much. If a passenger leans too much or at the wrong time it can throw off the dynamics of the turn and how the bike is responding which makes me have to counter adjust for it. I don't say this next part in any form of callousness toward my passenger, but in all reality they are nothing more than a lot of baggage on the back of the bike. Bags don't lean and I can make a turn just fine with them on there.

OT: Here is a funny/almost scary story that happened to me last February when my mom came down to visit me.

She wanted to go for a ride so we headed out on the bike. I have a get back whip on the right side of the bike attached to the brake lever. I don't think about it because it doesn't ever bother me, but apparently it was smacking her in the wind so she grabbed it and was holding it tight. Well, this caused the front brakes to be applied and the bike was wanting to counter steer. In my head I am thinking; "why is this bike pulling so hard to the left all of a sudden, why am I slowing down so much" until I look over and see what's happening. I took it off immediately. That could have had dire consequences had she yanked on it suddenly. So the lesson here is; if you have a get back whip, take it off when you have a passanger.
Good thing she didn't Yank on it I can laugh only because nothing bad happened to you guys. but I'm picturing me doing this to my husband and him up there going what the hell is going on with this bike right now..鈽
I appreciate all the input regarding the leaning.

Try'n to behave
^ I laugh about it now too. I actually laughed when I stopped the bike and took it off. I had to apologize to her for not thinking of it sooner. She has ridden a fair amount in the past. Dad never had a bike that I know of, but she dated guys before she married that did, and my older brother, me, my sister and BIL all ride and she has ridden with all of us.

Registered
^ I laugh about it now too. I actually laughed when I stopped the bike and took it off. I had to apologize to her for not thinking of it sooner. She has ridden a fair amount in the past. Dad never had a bike that I know of, but she dated guys before she married that did, and my older brother, me, my sister and BIL all ride and she has ridden with all of us.
Pretty awesome my friend!
My hubby's mom has never asked to get on the back of his bike.
My grandpa, dad and brothers all ride, too. My dad would have me on his bike before I could even walk....those were the days.

V-Twin Junkie
My main lid is a Simpson M50, but I have a half-lid for local spins, and an AGV full face for rides in inclement weather. Gloves absolutely, jeans, a long-sleeved shirt to cut the sun, and a jacket and/or vest on longer rides. I wear Converse hi-tops or cowboy boots most of the time.

Registered
I've been down hard a couple times. Both due to my own mis-judgments. However, over the 40+ years of riding, I've learned that gear should match what you're doing.

I'm still trying to find the perfect helmet. I love my Bell Rogue, but they don't make that any more. Problem with that helmet is a good stiff headwind or sidewind will try to take your head off. I got a modular last year, but it gives me a headache because it is still too tight. It isn't bothered by head or side winds. Back in '95, I had a Shoei. It saved my life.

I wear a leather vest in the hot weather when just riding around town. It keeps my stuff in my shirt pocket. If I go on a long or multi-day ride, I'll start with the heavy jacket in the AM, then switch to the vest if it gets too hot (90-100). In the 90's I tried out a few different types of riding gear. Leather is king, for me. I had a Canyon jacket (Cordura) in '95. It had armor and all, and probably saved my kidneys. However, the sleeves don't hold the armor for elbows and shoulders in place. Leather would have kept things where they belong. I still have it if you want to see it. I let me son use it for a motor officer training course and he added a few more scrapes and tears.

I have a good set of boots I got at the dealership. They lace up so I can get 'em tight, but have a side zipper so they are easy to get on and off. I wear 'em in town and on the road. Any time I'm riding. If on a trip, I bring Birkenstocks or other shoes for camp. I had a chunk of steel go through leather boots on my second wreck. Went right through my right foot. While these boots could get pierced, it's more likely they will deflect. Tough boots.

Gloves. I have like four sets of gloves. For riding around town, I wear either full gloves when it's cool, or fingerless good leather gloves for when it's hot. Like the ability to manage things with the fingerless gloves rather than having to take gloves on and off a hundred times. For really cold, I have gauntlets (usually found for snowmobile riders). Depending on where I'm going and potential weather, I'll carry two or more pairs of gloves so I can adapt to the weather.

I have chaps. The old ones I bought in Sturgis (not the rally, the town) in '93. Good thick leather. They've been through some weather. However, the zipper on the left side will no longer stay down. Kinda unhinged that the left leg of the chaps suddenly get all open and flapping. The new ones I got at the dealership after some shopping around. They have two zippers so you can add a layer under them. They've been good for the last couple years, but I need to re-do the snaps at the bottom because of the wind flapping. Nice feature is the snap for the zippers, locks 'em down so they don't come undone.

Bandana. In these days of "masks" for COVID, I wear a bandana around my neck. If I go into some place, I can "shields up" with the bandana and that seems to work. I can also wet it down for air conditioning. It also helps reduce chaffing around my neck from the leather vest or jacket.

Sorry, went a little long.

Registered
I've been down hard a couple times. Both due to my own mis-judgments. However, over the 40+ years of riding, I've learned that gear should match what you're doing.

I'm still trying to find the perfect helmet. I love my Bell Rogue, but they don't make that any more. Problem with that helmet is a good stiff headwind or sidewind will try to take your head off. I got a modular last year, but it gives me a headache because it is still too tight. It isn't bothered by head or side winds. Back in '95, I had a Shoei. It saved my life.

I wear a leather vest in the hot weather when just riding around town. It keeps my stuff in my shirt pocket. If I go on a long or multi-day ride, I'll start with the heavy jacket in the AM, then switch to the vest if it gets too hot (90-100). In the 90's I tried out a few different types of riding gear. Leather is king, for me. I had a Canyon jacket (Cordura) in '95. It had armor and all, and probably saved my kidneys. However, the sleeves don't hold the armor for elbows and shoulders in place. Leather would have kept things where they belong. I still have it if you want to see it. I let me son use it for a motor officer training course and he added a few more scrapes and tears.

I have a good set of boots I got at the dealership. They lace up so I can get 'em tight, but have a side zipper so they are easy to get on and off. I wear 'em in town and on the road. Any time I'm riding. If on a trip, I bring Birkenstocks or other shoes for camp. I had a chunk of steel go through leather boots on my second wreck. Went right through my right foot. While these boots could get pierced, it's more likely they will deflect. Tough boots.

Gloves. I have like four sets of gloves. For riding around town, I wear either full gloves when it's cool, or fingerless good leather gloves for when it's hot. Like the ability to manage things with the fingerless gloves rather than having to take gloves on and off a hundred times. For really cold, I have gauntlets (usually found for snowmobile riders). Depending on where I'm going and potential weather, I'll carry two or more pairs of gloves so I can adapt to the weather.

I have chaps. The old ones I bought in Sturgis (not the rally, the town) in '93. Good thick leather. They've been through some weather. However, the zipper on the left side will no longer stay down. Kinda unhinged that the left leg of the chaps suddenly get all open and flapping. The new ones I got at the dealership after some shopping around. They have two zippers so you can add a layer under them. They've been good for the last couple years, but I need to re-do the snaps at the bottom because of the wind flapping. Nice feature is the snap for the zippers, locks 'em down so they don't come undone.

Bandana. In these days of "masks" for COVID, I wear a bandana around my neck. If I go into some place, I can "shields up" with the bandana and that seems to work. I can also wet it down for air conditioning. It also helps reduce chaffing around my neck from the leather vest or jacket.

Sorry, went a little long.
Not too long at all. I always love and appreciate others views and advice. Full explanations are much better than just "wear a helmet and a jacket"..... always good to hear stories of what does and doesnt work and brands others prefer.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts