Harley Davidson Forums banner

Safety Gear Recommendations

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Manduhlyn 
#1 ·
New rider here (Heritage Classic) seeking recommendations for safety gear head to toe for self and wife. Planning day trips with some dirt roads. TIA!

#5 ·
I know everyone hates wearing helmets at all but we have full face helmets. Here in CA, helmets are required - we wear full face because my husband is allergic to bees. I hated the helmet at first, but can tell you within a weekend of riding, we went through a swarm of bees where I would have gotten stung at least six times in the face and a rock that hit so hard (freeway trip) that put a divot in my visor.
We did invest in Bluetooth communication to talk to each other because you can't hear shit with the full face helmets on but I am now glad that we have them.
Good boots are nice to have, also. My husband wears his work boots, he bought me a pair of super cute Harley boots that are more comfortable than any pair of shoes I've ever worn and protect my ankles.
The downside is we don't protect our body as much as we should. Levi's and a jacket sometimes I just wear tank top depending on where we're riding so I guess I'm dumb on that part.

#6 ·
Well that depends on where you ride, more than what you ride. HighPlainsDrifter, by that name, you ride in the North-West, Mid-West or South-West? The temp and wet play i big roll in gear.

I'm about as far South-West as one can be (80 miles North of San Diego, on the desert side) and still be in the Continental U.S.
The common gear out here is full coverage riding boots, Kevlar lined jeans, a cotton long sleeve t shirt or a cooling gear riding shirt, leather vest or jacket (depending on temps) I occasionally wear a Kevlar mesh jacket, (that's only because the P.O. included it with the bike). I prefer a 3/4-Modular helmet, my wife likes her full-face helmet. I keep cooling gear and water in the bags. (those wet neck things and just got some "cooling neck tubes" but, haven't tried them yet). The biggest help i found in preventing from gettin cooked is, fairings! Keeps the blast furnace turned down!

My wife rides wearing a Street n Steel black Kevlar jacket. I guess it's vented well because she never complains about the heat wen we ride but, constantly complaining about the heat at home? IDK. I prefer riding with temps less than 100. But this is the SoCal desert. Seen it get to 125. That is just too HOT!

Reactions: English Triker
#7 ·
Those cooling things you put around your neck definitely do work. We are in Southern California as well, last weekend we were riding in a hundred and ten degree weather.
While going through some of the older threads on here I did find a really awesome Kevlar Jacket high visibility, reflection on the back. My husband hated it but I'm thinking about getting myself one

#12 ·
On one of the group rides out through Desert Hot Springs, one gal in the group had a "cooling vest". She poured water on it, lightly twisted it, then put it on. then she wore a long sleeve white button up shirt over that. The vest is ugly blue, but worn invisible. I'm thinking of adding those to the temp arsenal, on my next stop at Cycle Gear.

#8 ·
What I find works best in a sub compact .45 ACP for summer and the full 1911 Colt for winter when clothing allows for a little heavier packing.

I have taken to riding with a 3/4 retro lid of late. Boots always.

I have found the 3/4 open face still gives me the peripheral vision I want without the head tip of the damn half helmet.

#9 ·
What I find works best in a sub compact .45 ACP for summer and the full 1911 Colt for winter when clothing allows for a little heavier packing.

I have taken to riding with a 3/4 retro lid of late. Boots always.

I have found the 3/4 open face still gives me the peripheral vision I want without the head tip of the damn half helmet.
my friend rides with a half helmet I see her adjusting it constantly and she says the wind pulls her head back. I thought she didn't have it strapped tight enough but it's as tight as it'll go and a size small. Those half helmets suck.

#13 ·
Helmets are now optional here in KY but I always wear one and don't mind it a bit. I wear a Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmet. Like it much better than the 3/4 I used to wear and I can hear my music better. And the Pit Boss has a little thingy wheel behind my neck that lets me adjust it at least a bit. That is really handy when I need to put on my HD Hi-Viz rain suit cause I can use the hood on the rainsuit than put my helmet on over the hood by adjusting the helmet for a little looser/bigger fit. Used to get water running in around the neck area but now using the hood no leaks around the neck. And I always wear boots and jeans. Yeah, that's the full extent of my riding safety gear but I only ride in warm or hot weather so I'm not getting into additional clothing protection.

#15 ·
Gloves. Always wear gloves. You will almost certainly try and put your hands down when falling to stop yourself and the skin on your hands will not withstand asphalt at speed very well. None of your skin will, but who tries to land butt first?

Helmet. Plain and simple, wear one. You have to decide what style you prefer because they all have their pluses and minuses, but protect the brain!

Hard soled leather boots that go above the ankle are always a good idea. Feet are one of the things most likely to get drug and/or pinned and your Chuck Taylor's won't do a damn thing to stop the damage.

That being said, protective gear is all personal preference. You have the guys that are ATGAT and you have guys who don't even wear jeans and ride in shorts and flip flops. Should it be worn? Of course, we all know that but conditions change and we make decisions knowing the consequences.

#16 ·
My gear depends on the day (temp/humidity), but 3 things I will NEVER compromise on:
  • Full Face Helmet
  • Gloves
  • Leather boots that go well above the ankle

I have a leather HD jacket that weighs as metric sh|t ton when the weather is cooler/cold, and a Tourmaster textile/mesh jacket (with removable rain liner) and overpants when it's raining or I want my legs to be warmer.

At s minimum, I would consider:
Helmet
Jacket (mesh or leather) or leather vest
Riding jeans or leather chaps
Gloves
Boots

As others have said, it's a personal choice and location/weather will dictate what you wear. I always say it's easier to deal with sweat than blood. I also have to be a voice for safety for a second here. You stated you're a new rider who got a Heritage Classic. I'd advise getting some serious solo miles down first before you add a pillion. Being new on a heavy cruiser is one thing, adding another human who may not know enough to lean the right way in curves/turns/etc. is a whole other ball of wax. ESPECIALLY if you are planning on riding some dirt roads.

Be safe and enjoy the ride!

#17 ·
My gear depends on the day (temp/humidity), but 3 things I will NEVER compromise on:
  • Full Face Helmet
  • Gloves
  • Leather boots that go well above the ankle
I have a leather HD jacket that weighs as metric sh|t ton when the weather is cooler/cold, and a Tourmaster textile/mesh jacket (with removable rain liner) and overpants when it's raining or I want my legs to be warmer.

At s minimum, I would consider:
Helmet
Jacket (mesh or leather) or leather vest
Riding jeans or leather chaps
Gloves
Boots

As others have said, it's a personal choice and location/weather will dictate what you wear. I always say it's easier to deal with sweat than blood. I also have to be a voice for safety for a second here. You stated you're a new rider who got a Heritage Classic. I'd advise getting some serious solo miles down first before you add a pillion. Being new on a heavy cruiser is one thing, adding another human who may not know enough to lean the right way in curves/turns/etc. is a whole other ball of wax. ESPECIALLY if you are planning on riding some dirt roads.

Be safe and enjoy the ride!
Excellent advice and post!!!!

As a side note, I have a question for you. I rode many miles on the back of a bike from growing up riding on my dad's to having boyfriends in a high school and now my husband. I was taught many years ago to lean in a little into the curves, not crazy leaning just leaning into the curves.
My husband does not want me to do that, he basically wants me to just sit on the back and enjoy the ride. I still do lean in a little but why would he not want me to lean? He's got my weight which I'm about 125 lbs on the back of a 900-pound bike. I know it's not from lack of experience as he has had motorcycles his whole life but this is very foreign to me.

#21 ·
I tell my wife to just stay straight up on the bike. If the bike leans she will be leaning but I don't need any extra lean from her.
Geez, to think I rode for 20 years the wrong way... gravity naturally leans, I would just look over the pilots shoulder in the direction of the lean.
Sorry I took this thread a little bit off topic

#24 ·
I have to throw this in. One of the girls that we have been cruising with wears long skirts, Stevie Nicks clothing. That thing is flapping in the Wind I was just waiting for it to go into the rear tire. Later I mentioned to her that she should at least tuck it under her legs, i said that things going to get stuck in that wheel and pull you right off that bike. She said she had never thought of that which kind of shocked me. Was kind of surprised her ole man was allowing her to wear it, dangerous for both of them. I know that I sometimes wear tank tops and need to cover my arms but damn.

#31 ·
^ I laugh about it now too. I actually laughed when I stopped the bike and took it off. I had to apologize to her for not thinking of it sooner. She has ridden a fair amount in the past. Dad never had a bike that I know of, but she dated guys before she married that did, and my older brother, me, my sister and BIL all ride and she has ridden with all of us.

#33 ·
My main lid is a Simpson M50, but I have a half-lid for local spins, and an AGV full face for rides in inclement weather. Gloves absolutely, jeans, a long-sleeved shirt to cut the sun, and a jacket and/or vest on longer rides. I wear Converse hi-tops or cowboy boots most of the time.

#34 ·
I've been down hard a couple times. Both due to my own mis-judgments. However, over the 40+ years of riding, I've learned that gear should match what you're doing.

I'm still trying to find the perfect helmet. I love my Bell Rogue, but they don't make that any more. Problem with that helmet is a good stiff headwind or sidewind will try to take your head off. I got a modular last year, but it gives me a headache because it is still too tight. It isn't bothered by head or side winds. Back in '95, I had a Shoei. It saved my life.

I wear a leather vest in the hot weather when just riding around town. It keeps my stuff in my shirt pocket. If I go on a long or multi-day ride, I'll start with the heavy jacket in the AM, then switch to the vest if it gets too hot (90-100). In the 90's I tried out a few different types of riding gear. Leather is king, for me. I had a Canyon jacket (Cordura) in '95. It had armor and all, and probably saved my kidneys. However, the sleeves don't hold the armor for elbows and shoulders in place. Leather would have kept things where they belong. I still have it if you want to see it. I let me son use it for a motor officer training course and he added a few more scrapes and tears.

I have a good set of boots I got at the dealership. They lace up so I can get 'em tight, but have a side zipper so they are easy to get on and off. I wear 'em in town and on the road. Any time I'm riding. If on a trip, I bring Birkenstocks or other shoes for camp. I had a chunk of steel go through leather boots on my second wreck. Went right through my right foot. While these boots could get pierced, it's more likely they will deflect. Tough boots.

Gloves. I have like four sets of gloves. For riding around town, I wear either full gloves when it's cool, or fingerless good leather gloves for when it's hot. Like the ability to manage things with the fingerless gloves rather than having to take gloves on and off a hundred times. For really cold, I have gauntlets (usually found for snowmobile riders). Depending on where I'm going and potential weather, I'll carry two or more pairs of gloves so I can adapt to the weather.

I have chaps. The old ones I bought in Sturgis (not the rally, the town) in '93. Good thick leather. They've been through some weather. However, the zipper on the left side will no longer stay down. Kinda unhinged that the left leg of the chaps suddenly get all open and flapping. The new ones I got at the dealership after some shopping around. They have two zippers so you can add a layer under them. They've been good for the last couple years, but I need to re-do the snaps at the bottom because of the wind flapping. Nice feature is the snap for the zippers, locks 'em down so they don't come undone.

Bandana. In these days of "masks" for COVID, I wear a bandana around my neck. If I go into some place, I can "shields up" with the bandana and that seems to work. I can also wet it down for air conditioning. It also helps reduce chaffing around my neck from the leather vest or jacket.

Sorry, went a little long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.