Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing some maintenance on my bike today, checking my plugs, changing the oil, and running some sea foam through the carb. Well when I pulled my air filter off, there was some sand on the bottom lip of the backing plate. Yeah I know....great. So I cleaned the little bit of sand off the lip and didn't see any evidence of sand in the carb throat or anything. I looked at the filter and I can see where it failed. It wasn't a stock filter, I made my own backing plate and I was running just a round filter from advance auto. I forget the brand but anyway, where the rubber flange meets the metal trim on the filter, it was slightly split. I have a k&n cone filter with a 90 degree elbow that i run sometimes so I put that back on. The only reason I took it off was because I got tired of hitting my knee on the elbow. When I changed the oil I didn't notice any grit in it. I really don't think any got sucked through the carb and if any did it was very little. My question is should I keep an eye out for anything? Do you think Its caused any damage? The bike runs good I don't hear any difference either. I mean people have those stacks they're basically open intakes I'm sure they suck in some sand sometimes right? Should I be worried ?? Thanks for the advice

06 Sportster 883C, carbed, custom exhaust, semi apes, DK 2.5" tank lift, DK coil and key relocation, DK breather mod, custom air intake, side mount license plate/taillight, 3 inch lowering kit

·
Banned
71 Posts
So I was doing some maintenance on my bike today, checking my plugs, changing the oil, and running some sea foam through the carb. Well when I pulled my air filter off, there was some sand on the bottom lip of the backing plate. Yeah I know....great. So I cleaned the little bit of sand off the lip and didn't see any evidence of sand in the carb throat or anything. I looked at the filter and I can see where it failed. It wasn't a stock filter, I made my own backing plate and I was running just a round filter from advance auto. I forget the brand but anyway, where the rubber flange meets the metal trim on the filter, it was slightly split. I have a k&n cone filter with a 90 degree elbow that i run sometimes so I put that back on. The only reason I took it off was because I got tired of hitting my knee on the elbow. When I changed the oil I didn't notice any grit in it. I really don't think any got sucked through the carb and if any did it was very little. My question is should I keep an eye out for anything? Do you think Its caused any damage? The bike runs good I don't hear any difference either. I mean people have those stacks they're basically open intakes I'm sure they suck in some sand sometimes right? Should I be worried ?? Thanks for the advice

06 Sportster 883C, carbed, custom exhaust, semi apes, DK 2.5" tank lift, DK coil and key relocation, DK breather mod, custom air intake, side mount license plate/taillight, 3 inch lowering kit
If it does not burn oil, don't worry too much over it . :)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Well, you only have two choices. 1) do nothing, 2) pull the entire engine down and completely rebuild. Since you have no trouble showing. Leave it alone, ride and enjoy.
In the future, check the filter more often, use a good quality filter and ride, ride ride!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe it or not I check it pretty often. I just swapped them no more than 2 weeks ago. I live on a dirt road about a 1/4 mile from the paved road and a lot of sand comes off the front tire no matter how slow I go. That's how it got to the filter. Oh well there's nothing I can do now I'll just pray it's okay. It's my only mode of transportation so I need it to stay running lol

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
seeing a couple grains of sand in the bottom of the air filter is not something I personally would worry about. Sure the seal failed but I doubt an amount of sand that would have hurt the engine didn't get in. Especially since you checked the oil and didn't see any in there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do have a front fender. I can't imagine how much worse it would be without one. My road isn't dirt like mud, its almost like QP it has a lot of sand in it. Its like hard pack. When it's wet it gets all over everything and it really isn't much better when it's dry. I go very slow I never leave 1st gear but still. If I wear shorts I can feel it hitting my legs like a sandblaster. It's a pain to keep the bike clean seeing as I ride every day to and from work rain or shine.

I'm just going to try to forget about this and ride on. It's kinda hard though. I'm sure you can all imagine the feeling I had when I pulled off the filter and saw it...all morning I kept trying to see if I heard anything out of the ordinary and same thing on the way home. The top end has always been a little noisy but I know that's normal. I'm driving myself nuts... If it had any effects on the bike it would be immediate right? I'd know right away?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If there's sand inside the filter, then there's a leak between the filter and either the base or cover(top). Fix it before you waste the rings.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sand got past the filter because the metal ring around the back of the filter separated from the rubber part. It was a spectre brand round filter. It was only on the bike about 2 weeks when I noticed the little bit of sand in the backing plate. I've already reverted back to my k&n filter

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
In my dirt bike days, we ALWAYS applied heavy grease to the sealing surfaces of the air filter element and the housing/backing plate. It helped seal out dirt and sand and made up for any irregularities in the mating surfaces. Maybe you should consider this, given your exposure to sandy conditions. I have always run oiled K&N elements on my bikes.

BTW, it's not the sand you see in the housing you have to worry about. It's the sand you don't see that is the problem.

--

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll keep the grease in mind. Bottom line I bought a cheap air filter and It came apart. A word of advise for everyone never use a spectre filter from advance auto. Nothing I can do about it now. It seems fine so im going to forget about it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts