Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my Low Rider on Craigslist yesterday. Now the scammers are coming out. I get texts saying they want the bike, no questions, no conversation, just when can I pick it up? I can't figure out what their angle is. I want cash anyway. Do they think they can BS me? Are there really people in this world so foolish they would give them their Paypal details? Weird.:loco

·
Super Moderator
4,099 Posts
Yeah, I got exactly the same crap. I almost missed a serious buyer because they flooded the inbox. I guess people still fall for that stuff. Makes that site pretty much useless.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I can't figure out how they can scam with Paypal when all you need is an email address to put money into Paypal account unless they can take it back after they get the bike and title.
Cash in hand, face to face is the only way to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
These scammers have all but ruined what used to be a really good free service. I refuse to use it any longer. Fortunately I belong to quite a few forums with classifieds.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pretty much figure that anybody who's really serious will call and talk to me personally. Someone who just texts isn't for real. Probably has such a bad accent that you wouldn't understand them. Although I do realize that there could be a Nigerian prince that wants a Harley and wants my bank account info to pay me a fortune for it!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Or the guy working on an oil platform way out at sea and can't access his bank account now but can do Paypal?????????

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, when I bought this bike I took hundred dollar bills and a friend with a pistol with me to pick it up. Everyone was happy when the deal went down. He was honest and so was I. I got the bike and he got the money, straight deal.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Or the guy working on an oil platform way out at sea and can't access his bank account now but can do Paypal?????????
Ha! So that's why nobody takes me seriously. :rollin

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had one guy asking me to send him the vin of my truck. Kept trying 3 different times with bs stories about wanting to look up the options it came with. Told him the body trim tag tells factory options not the vin but I'd gladly look everything up and tell him options it had next day. Never heard from him again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Thats funny, i have a friend like that, me and his brother in law picked his bike up and took it to the indie to get some work done before he got back home for him, and the shop asked how we were gonna pay and we told him, email him with a quote and he can send it via paypal or wait til he gets in and works done to pay. They gladly accepted paypal for the 4k in parts and labor. Bike looks great, only got to ride it for a week and he had to go back out for another 21 days.....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I had one guy asking me to send him the vin of my truck. Kept trying 3 different times with bs stories about wanting to look up the options it came with. Told him the body trim tag tells factory options not the vin but I'd gladly look everything up and tell him options it had next day. Never heard from him again.

Actually the vin isn't a big deal, most folks want it to run a history report on it, look for damages, etc.
Have a bike on Craigs list right now, the scam was they are not from this area but want the bike. Making a long story short, they wanted me to send the shipper $500.00 by Western Union and he would add the $500.00 plus $300.00 for my trouble to the price of the bike. Once the payment was received by the shipper I would receive a code that I entered into my pay pal account and the money would transfer (even sent me fake Emails from Pay Pal, bastards are tricky). I said no thanks, you put the money into my account and I would be happy to send such payment to your shipper (this was never part of the deal to begin with). Then they threatened to report me to Pay Pal and Craigs list, since they said I was trying to scam them if I didn't send the money..... Didn't tell them, I did report them to both Pay Pal and CL... Piece of snykies....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've seen where people try to make fake titles and claim it as stolen. I don't take any chances with any of my property.

That's cool, but I think that may be pretty hard to pull off. If you bought the item from a dealer big brother has a record of when and who the items were transferred to. If you bought the item from a private party big brother should already know the item already belonged to the person before and will have a record of when you bought said item. Now if you bought it from a private party I guess they could say you stole it, but if you had a signed off title, have had it in your name for awhile and had a bill of sale, I think they would have a hard time proving you stole it. Plus they would already have the vin. number.
Like I said it's all good, it's your property. I personally would question the guy that didn't want to provide the vin, I may think he is trying to pull a fast one. Maybe said item had been wrecked or something and they do not want you to know?
Take care...

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
There are too many people all over the world sitting around their computers trying to figure out ways to scam us. I use Craigslist but I decline to have my email info as part of the ad and state very clearly in my ad "phone calls only". That will eliminate a lot of scammers. And the phone calls are not overwhelming and give me the chance to politely tell any caller that cash talks and BS walks.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,058 Posts
I was asked to provide an addy for a "courier" during a "correspondence" several years ago. Gave the idiot 1600 Pennsylvania Av., Washington, DC. The name given was George Tree. Sometimes, they're so stupid, you can have some fun with them.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I've been getting is a crapload of texts. When you run a reverse phone number check on them they're all voip numbers so you don't really know where they are. They usually screw up the English language too in their texts. So far I've gotten nine of them. I just ignore them now.

·
Mucho Loco
119 Posts
I use Craigslist quite often. When I list my phone number I spell out a couple of the numbers. This seems to keep out the undesirables as I never get any calls or text except from the ones actually interested in the item I'm selling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts