Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my first bike and had every intention of picking up a road king. I recently found out that I'm going to be getting my father's heritage for a screaming deal. It's a 96 with about 25000 miles 88ci with 5 speed.
I'll have to talk with him about any upgrades but I know he maintains it regularly and the bike is in great shape.

So my question is what should I be watching for maintenance wise out different upgrades to make it run better?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
844 Posts
If he maintained it o.k., then ride the heck out of it! I have a stock 2012 Heritage and it is fine like it is. Folks will be along with some good ideas, and I'll be reading along with you.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,374 Posts
Best year for the EVO IMO.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm looking to get my first bike and had every intention of picking up a road king. I recently found out that I'm going to be getting my father's heritage for a screaming deal. It's a 96 with about 25000 miles 88ci with 5 speed.
I'll have to talk with him about any upgrades but I know he maintains it regularly and the bike is in great shape.

So my question is what should I be watching for maintenance wise out different upgrades to make it run better?
Thanks,
Chris
A 96 would be 80ci, not 88ci. Good exhaust, air filter and carb work is your best starting points.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so after talking to him I think it is the 80 evo engine. He said no upgrades have been done only regular maintenence and not a lick of trouble. Off the top of my head a few things I'm looking at doing would be exhaust, air cleaner for performance. Leds all around and changing the studded bags to hard bags.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ok so after talking to him I think it is the 80 evo engine. He said no upgrades have been done only regular maintenence and not a lick of trouble. Off the top of my head a few things I'm looking at doing would be exhaust, air cleaner for performance. Leds all around and changing the studded bags to hard bags.
Yep if you want to keep it and ride it a long ways leave the engine stock. You could ride it 10 times that far. Unless you are racing (in which case you need a different bike!) or hauling around a 400 pound woman (in which case you need to give her a book on dieting) the stock 80 Evo puts out plenty of power. Upgrading the intake and exhaust (if it hasn't already been done, most have been) won't hurt it as long as you make sure you adjust the fuel/air ratio so you aren't running it too lean. If it pops on deceleration or sputters on acceleration it's too lean and that will overheat the heads.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I really like mine of course it's an 80"
I am thinking about going to a Mikuni carb but that's my preference because I have had very good luck with those. The stock one works fine for now though. The rear cylinder back left bolt holding the jugs on are prone to minor leakage mine leaked a little when I got it (19000 miles) I did some research and found an old wrench who said they leaked a little because the bolts are not fully torqued until engine is at running temp so he suggested to let it warm up good before taking off. I have let mine warm up for a couple mins while getting my gear on and telling folks bye and all that then I ride easy for a min or so and after that just ride it! And guess what no more leakage! Enjoy the Heritage and be safe!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have a 97 soft tail and love my evo. She fires every time and runs great. I will probably never let her go. Just regular maintenance and fuel and ride. Just make sure you put fuel stabilizer in a full tank of fuel and make sure to run it a little while to get it into the carb before storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 87 softail custom,which is an 80 evo with a little over 40,000 miles on it. Had it about 7 years ,it came with an S&S super E, drag pipes. runs great. Only changes I did was changed to a screaming eagle coil and run screaming eagle plugs. With maintence the 80 evos will run for a long,long time.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
I agree with the S&S Super E for the carb. Also, I would add an inline fuel filter (under $5.00 upgrade). I didn't have one on my 97 Heritage and adding one made a huge difference especially if it sat for awhile. There is bound to be some corrosion in the tank and the filter is amazing for catching the small debris that can look like an expensive repair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts