Harley Davidson Forums banner

Scramoin Eagle Exhaust Catalytic Converters Question

14K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  DGriz 
#1 · (Edited)
Screamin' Eagle Exhaust Catalytic Converters Question

I have a 2015 Ultra Limited. FLHTK. Screamin Eagle stage IV kit, tuner etc and the Screamin' Eagle High Flow Exhaust System with Street Cannon Mufflers
Part Number 64800043

It was installed at the dealership and I bought it new with the upgrades.

From the Harley parts website it looks like the Cats are in the mufflers rather than the head pipe crossover like on stock exhausts.

Does anyone know if that's correct? If so how tough will it be to punch out, drill out, cut out the cats? I haven't pulled the mufflers yet to look.

Thanks!
Cliff

#3 ·
The Harley parts website says "Catalysts have been relocated to the mufflers to enhance flow"
Just trying to confirm. If they are in the mufflers I can try to cut/drive the cats out. If that fails I'll get some V&H or Rinehart mufflers. If the cat is still in the head pipe like it is on a stock exhaust I'll just replace the head pipe and keep the Screamin Eagle mufflers. I dont want to replace the whole exhaust if I dont have to.

#4 ·
YES, Cats are in the mufflers on the Screamin Eagle system. I just gutted mine recently, used a long 1/2" drill, drilled a series of holes around the edge, and a center hole, then used a long punch to break-up the Cat and pull it out. End result is less exhaust heat, not much sound difference at idle, just a tad louder at rpm, still deep bass tone, not tinny.

#5 ·
Thank you! Exactly what I needed. I appreciate all of the replies.

#7 ·
No, I have the SEPST tuner and it isn't popping on decel nor acting funny on medium to heavy throttle conditions. I did take it easy for a couple of days for the closed loop to make it's own adjustments. I really want to put the bike on a dyno and get a good map made for it as it seems to have a lot more in it than what I feel. The bottom end is a little snappier now, no real change in mid to upper rpm.

#8 ·
Good news/bad news....I found the cat....it's not in the muffler. Took the right side muffler off. No cat. Looked inside the headpipe. There it is near the crossover. So. cheap and easy got harder and more expensive. LOL. Now to decide. Have it cut out or buy a new headpipe. Or get the V&H crossover replacement.

#9 ·
Good news/bad news....I found the cat....it's not in the muffler. Took the right side muffler off. No cat. Looked inside the headpipe. There it is near the crossover. So. cheap and easy got harder and more expensive. LOL. Now to decide. Have it cut out or buy a new headpipe. Or get the V&H crossover replacement.
Yup....... just buy a head pipe, save the old one..... just in case. Like my fullsac....

Reactions: JLR
#10 ·
That sounds like somebody just put Screamin Eagle covers on a stock headpipe. It's even in the catalog description for the Screamin Eagle High Flow Exhaust System that the Cats are in the mufflers. Is your cross under pipe round full diameter or is it compressed?

Reactions: tekslk
#12 ·
You could send them to full-sac and have them modified.

#16 ·
Well hell dude I would give it a try but don't hope for huge results. Cats are designed to get hot ya know. The cats are worse when in the head pipes up closer to the floorboards than in the muffs. Why not trying to wrap the muffs with exhaust tape ? There's any number of tape colors and it looks high performance too ! Allot less expensive than modifying the mufflers IMO.

#17 ·
Not Screaming Eagles, but maybe this will help?

Reactions: jpassh2o
#19 ·
It's not hard to remove the Cats from the Screamin Eagle mufflers, you just need some long drill bits and long chisels and some patience. Drill a center hole, then holes along the outer edge, then break it up with the chisel and shake it out. Continue that pattern until its all gone.

#21 · (Edited)
I saw a video of someone removing the baffle first, then just pushed (or tapped/pounded) the cat out with a wooden dowel. Looks like they still went in and cleaned up the sides of the muffler with a chisel, but it looked a lot easier than chipping away at the whole thing and trying to dump out the debris from the small end. Has anyone else tried this method?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.