Harley Davidson Forums banner

Scratch,Grinding noise @start up

18K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Kainam 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 streetglide with 13k on the clock. Stopped to feul Friday and upon restart I Got an aweful grinding noise but it started. From that point I was afraid to hit the start botton. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
Wow. It turns out to be the teeth on the ringgear making contact with the housing. The scrapping is minimal but the sound is horrible. Now I wish I didn't have to go in to work today.
It sounds like the same issue I have .compensator gear/spring had one replaced on my 09 ele. Classic about 10000 miles ago ....doing the same thing .i was told it's an issue that has not been resolved ..keep having it fixed at $600.00 a pop ..typ hd bs. :feedback:
Wrong. The OP already figured out the problem with his bike.

As for your bike, why don't you get it fixed correctly instead of repeatedly having it fixed incorrectly?

#8 ·
agree...... funny but agree. lol.
Check cold crank amps on the battery. Also check battery all together. leads, age.etc.
If the battery is weak. piston at tdc and you hit the button it could and will maje some noise. grind, ckicks, bangs. what you heard.
It could also be ring gear or jack shaft and starter gear.
check the simple and go from there.

#9 ·
If the problem continues, remove the outer primary cover and inspect the ring and pinion gears, if they look good, suspect the starter clutch.

The starter must be removed in order to replace the starter clutch.

If you decide to replace the starter clutch, leave the outer primary cover off, because you need access to the starter jackshaft retaining bolt.

The most important thing to remember when working on starter systems, is to disconnect the battery first.

#10 ·
My sportster does the same thing especially if it is a restart after a short stop, like for gas. I have gotten in the habit of bumping the starter button for a half second then start normally. Have not had a problem using this procedure for several months.

#12 ·
My old sportster used to do that. And that's exactly what I used to do too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.