Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FXDX, 88", Andrews 21, Thrashin 2-1, TRU-Track Stabilizer, PCV Auto-Tune, Heavy Duty Clutch,
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon all, doing a big bore and cams on my 2006 88” Dyna. During dissasembly I found a noticeable scratch in one of the lifter bores (photo attached)
. I I can just feel it with my fingernail. Can this be honed out using a brake cylinder hone? Will it affect engine performance? I plan to run a dial bore gauge and check conformance to specified clearances. If needed I will order oversized lifters - will I be okay even if there is slight scratching left behind?

·
Just Ride
3,735 Posts
I'd hone it and go.

Reactions: Kainam

·
old scoot coot
4,874 Posts
wheel cyl hones are fairly aggressive. you could if you use good lube and go only a stroke or two. i would dress the scratch down with some very fine 1500 grit sand paper with some lube. only be concerned with taking off the high spots. the rest will just carry oil. rather than hone it. your are not seating rings in that bore and removing any dia is not desireable. just my 2cents.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I'm with Tommy on this one. Hey, if a new lifter drops down through the bore I wouldn't even touch it. Look at the lifter you took out and scratched the bore with. I think you will be glad you got that lifter out before it came apart.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm curious as to what was on the lifter to scratch the bore like that while the lifter was being wiggled out of there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts