Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just looking for some suggestions on the best way to get some pretty good scratches out of my bike's windshield. I have done some research and such but just wondering if I missing something or if someone has a really good suggestion that has worked well for you.

Is high grit sandpaper a good idea?
Right now I'm sort of thinking of going with that followed by this stuff that is basically a 3 stage process.

Feel free to set me straight. :)

Thanks

·
Retired citizen
22,878 Posts
Hey just looking for some suggestions on the best way to get some pretty good scratches out of my bike's windshield. I have done some research and such but just wondering if I missing something or if someone has a really good suggestion that has worked well for you.

Is high grit sandpaper a good idea?
Right now I'm sort of thinking of going with that followed by this stuff that is basically a 3 stage process.

Feel free to set me straight. :)

Thanks
IMO that'll trash the windshield for good ! If it were me I'd shit can that scratched piece of pain in the ass shit and pop $ for a new tinted one. I hate scratched windshields especially at night !

·
Registered
823 Posts
Unless you have countless hours, grits, and compounds you are never going to be happy with fixing scratches on your windscreen. I messed with one once and had one of those, "Well, that's two hours of my life I'll never get back moments. Looked worse than before I started. When you can't stand looking at it anymore, buy a new one.

·
Retired citizen
22,878 Posts
If the OP pops for a new windshield the best way to clean them is to lay a hot wet towel across it to soften the bugs and dust prior to wiping it down. Also it's best to not use ammonia based cleaners, just soapy water and microfiber towels.

·
Wayward Son
23,216 Posts
If the OP pops for a new windshield the best way to clean them is to lay a hot wet towel across it to soften the bugs and dust prior to wiping it down. Also it's best to not use ammonia based cleaners, just soapy water and microfiber towels.
Old school rules. :nod
Not only probably the best. Also easiest and cheapest.

·
American
26,325 Posts
Buy new, save yourself a lot of frustration....

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If you go new check out long ride shields. They use a thin glass layer on the shield and they are tough. Mine looks like new and I clean it with Quick Detailer and wax it when I wax the bike. No scratches .

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,160 Posts
Buy new! Personally I am ready to get rid of my eyeglass holders! That is what phucks mine up.

·
Keeper Of The Kept.
826 Posts
My 2011 Electra Glide came with a (I think) 10" clear screen may be higher. This is the first bike I've had a windshield on. Of course I wouldn't put a tinted one on it because I won't be able to see through it at 10". I notice a lot of bikes have a short windshield and a lot are tinted. Basically you just see over in and not through it. What I want to know, is it just cosmetic? I get a lot of bugs on my windshield that would other wise be stuck on my face. Why have such a short windshield? I want to know because I thought of changing it because seeing through the current one at night if it gets dirty is a pain. Just want to know the Pro's before doing it.

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
My 2011 Electra Glide came with a (I think) 10" clear screen may be higher. This is the first bike I've had a windshield on. Of course I wouldn't put a tinted one on it because I won't be able to see through it at 10". I notice a lot of bikes have a short windshield and a lot are tinted. Basically you just see over in and not through it. What I want to know, is it just cosmetic? I get a lot of bugs on my windshield that would other wise be stuck on my face. Why have such a short windshield? I want to know because I thought of changing it because seeing through the current one at night if it gets dirty is a pain. Just want to know the Pro's before doing it.
A properly sized windshield puts you looking just over the top of it. The slipstream should go over your head at that point, not in your face.

As you pointed out, it can be difficult to see through the windshield at night or in rain. I like to be able to "duck behind" the shield on occasion but typically I don't want to look through it.

A re-curve shield helps even more with the direction of airflow to go up and over your head.

·
Keeper Of The Kept.
826 Posts
A properly sized windshield puts you looking just over the top of it. The slipstream should go over your head at that point, not in your face.

As you pointed out, it can be difficult to see through the windshield at night or in rain. I like to be able to "duck behind" the shield on occasion but typically I don't want to look through it.

A re-curve shield helps even more with the direction of airflow to go up and over your head.

I can just see over the top so I must be good to go. Just to clearify though, do the short windshields make bugs fly up over your head?

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
I can just see over the top so I must be good to go. Just to clearify though, do the short windshields make bugs fly up over your head?
It depends on how short and whether it has a curve to it (as in re-curve).

To elaborate on the height formula, I believe it is something like: Head level and eyes looking level, your line of sight should be about 2" over the top of the shield. Head level and eyes looking at a spot on the ground about 50 feet in front of you, your line of sight should go right through the top edge of the shield.

I have 4 windshields for my 2011 Limited. The first is the stocker that was called the "touring shield" as part of the Limited package in 2011. It is 12" tall and clear. I look through that one. I have a new "touring shield" which is a 10" clear recurve from LRS that let's me look just over the top but still duck behind. Both of these send the air over my head. Then I have a 7.5" smoked recurve from LRS which I completely look over but it still gives me a slipstream over my head. The last is a 4.5" opaque black shield that just covers my windshield pouches. It is like riding open air and I will catch bugs. I like this for riding locally.

·
Keeper Of The Kept.
826 Posts
It depends on how short and whether it has a curve to it (as in re-curve).

To elaborate on the height formula, I believe it is something like: Head level and eyes looking level, your line of sight should be about 2" over the top of the shield. Head level and eyes looking at a spot on the ground about 50 feet in front of you, your line of sight should go right through the top edge of the shield.

I have 4 windshields for my 2011 Limited. The first is the stocker that was called the "touring shield" as part of the Limited package in 2011. It is 12" tall and clear. I look through that one. I have a new "touring shield" which is a 10" clear recurve from LRS that let's me look just over the top but still duck behind. Both of these send the air over my head. Then I have a 7.5" smoked recurve from LRS which I completely look over but it still gives me a slipstream over my head. The last is a 4.5" opaque black shield that just covers my windshield pouches. It is like riding open air and I will catch bugs. I like this for riding locally.

Much apprecitaed G Man. Definitly clears that up for me. Now it makes good sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts