Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Harley Shop has one on display for right at $5500. Labor and everything needed to get it installed would put the price around $9600.

Anyone have the 120R or can say anything about it?

JamesNT

·
Administrator
13,608 Posts
Quite a few threads on 120R. Some love it, some hate it. Sounds like a mixed bag. Unless you or your tech really knows what they are doing, it sounds like there is a lot of room for error and no warranty.

·
Retired citizen
24,517 Posts
Gotta be real serious putting $9 grand into an engine for street use. Never get your money back out of it, it'd be a real hard sell.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Like gtrman66 said, read the other threads about the motor. Some have had good luck and some have not. Seems to have a lot to do with the quality of components. Not all engines get the same parts. Some get the forged rods that is needed and some dont etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Schmidtys,

I have no intention of ever having hope of getting any of the money I put into my Harley back out of it. To date, I have spent $29,000 at my local Harley shop including the original purchase of my Road King ($14,400).

What I do hope to get out of my Harley is more valuable.

1. New friends - real friends.

2. Enjoyment of nice weather.

3. Opportunities to go to some really cool places and have way more fun than I ever could locked up inside a car.

4. A true and authentic opportunity to totally piss off my wife yet completely get away with it (some of her friends' husbands have bought $40,000 Camaros and one dumped $60k on a Vette).

5. The ability to completely offset the hours I spend in a cubicle staring at a computer screen (I'm a software developer).

Make sense?

JamesNT

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Hillsidecycleco

S&S sounds cool. What kind of warranty? Sounds like something the techs at my Harley shop won't support. I supposed I'll have to find someone else to professionally install it?

JamesNT

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
@Hillsidecycleco

S&S sounds cool. What kind of warranty? Sounds like something the techs at my Harley shop won't support. I supposed I'll have to find someone else to professionally install it?

JamesNT
Hillsidecycleco would be the place to do it!:thumbup: and there are a few others on this forum that would do just as good...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For that kind of money, we can build an S&S 124" that'll whip the a$$ off that 120R.:)
Not for nothing, S&S now has that 143" available for around $9200.00, plus.
Scott
This is the logical choice !!

OR!!

Their (Hillsides) 117" offering in a mild to moderate build (Please consult Scott) will put a 120r crate motor in the rearview mirrors very quickly. It will also do so for years to come down the road.

The 117's in a moderate build, are more than most riders will ever need.
They will thrill you when you twist the wick.
In a full effort build the 117" will scare the hell out of you. I have been behind the bars of both style builds, and a 124 with the added 1/8 of stroke.

The 124 did not have much on the 117.

My .00001 cents worth

D

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yes indeed.:thumbsup
A 117" can be a VERY potent, VERY reliable powerplant, set up correctly.
Folks bring their bikes from all over the US, and Canada, to us.
Just shipped to Waroona, Western Australia, happy clients in Singapore, Kuwait, UK, Neterlands, etc.:)
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts