Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is the single best thing I have ever bought for any Harley I have ever owned.

Let me start out by saying I always thought these things looked kinda poser. BUT...I sat on a friends bike that had one and noticed that my right leg fit right up against the tank and my foot rested naturally right on the rear brake pedal. I rode it around the block and was so impressed I went to the dealer yesterday and pried $300 out of my cheap little fingers for one. There are other people making basically the same thing, but I tend to buy Harley because I know what quality level I am going to get.

Installation was quite easy, I would say a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Minimum tools needed, but of course you will need the obligatory Torx bits. Time to install was maybe 30 minutes. I already had a free flow aircleaner and run a SERT with a custom map, so I really don't know if it would need a re-tune from stock. Power seems to be a little crisper down low, but then again I run a Rinehart 2:1 for performance anyways.

As far as the rain issue goes, it comes with a rain sock, but the owner of the dealership that I go to (Paradise HD in Tigard, Or...a GREAT dealership) has the same bike with the same set-up and he said he has never had any issue in the rain and only puts the sock on when he parks it where it might get rained on.

I rode about 200 miles today on it and was amazed at how comfortable it was. No more "Harley Knee" and it was almost like I had a new rear brake. I was surprised that there was no discernable induction noise. I expected a bit of sucking sound.

Caveat- I have a Dyna with forward controls and I don't know about Softails. I had a FXST in the past and had the same problem with my right knee, so I imagine it would work just as well.

·
OMR
951 Posts
They are nice. I have one on my nightster and will be putting on the other bikes when I get the bucks.. Glad you are really happy with yours.

·
Have gun,will travel
3,242 Posts
Thanks Gazoo! I've been looking at them, and your review probably just clinched it. I would like my right knee a little closer to the tank... :thumb

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Great writeup Gazoo.
I had one on my 04 RoadGlide and was very happy with it.
I just left the rain sock on all the time as when we dynotuned the bike, the operator told me it only sacrificed about 2-3 hp at wot.

I was already to order one for my 2010 RoadGlide when I read the fine print I saw that it won't work with fairing lowers.

Decided to go with this one:
Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

But, nothing beats the visual impact of the Heavy Breather.
It just looks cool!:thumbsup

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have this on my bike, Mike. What I love the most, it the leg clearence that it provides and a clearer path to the brake pedal, as you stated. Nice write-up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Added one to my 09 FatBoy on Tuesday and thought my knee was nearer the tank but thought it was all in my mind as I test rode the bike around. But I guess it wasn't it was all in my leg!

Looks great. Dead easy to install too.

·
Registered
527 Posts
been wanting one to for my street glide. i love the way they look. dont no what to do with the stage 1 set up i have now, classifieds i guess...lol

·
2010 Heritage
1,198 Posts
I don't want to highjack this thread, but are there any other high flow air cleaners that would let my right knee get closer to the tank? I want the air and better access to the rear brake pedal, but I don't think the heavy breather would look right on my Heritage. I am trying to stay with the retro look and the heavy breather looks a bit too "hot rod" for what I am going for.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Great writeup Gazoo.
I had one on my 04 RoadGlide and was very happy with it.
I just left the rain sock on all the time as when we dynotuned the bike, the operator told me it only sacrificed about 2-3 hp at wot.

I was already to order one for my 2010 RoadGlide when I read the fine print I saw that it won't work with fairing lowers.

Decided to go with this one:
Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

But, nothing beats the visual impact of the Heavy Breather.
It just looks cool!:thumbsup
Agreed,cool write-up !! Vet.check this one out.I put it on mine, and man, just x-2 that report for this one...(soorry didn't check the link first)

Attachments

·
2010 Heritage
1,198 Posts
Oops, shoulda checked Vettster's link. That Ventillator is exactly what I am looking for (except I want the chromed one like Craiger's). Is it low profile enough to get your right knee next to the tank?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Oops, shoulda checked Vettster's link. That Ventillator is exactly what I am looking for (except I want the chromed one like Craiger's). Is it low profile enough to get your right knee next to the tank?
Yup, no clearance issues and made a significant difference in performance,for the stage 1.

No issues in the rain unless parked as stated.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,801 Posts
I'd love to see someone do a test, if you had a really dirty filter like that,

covered with dust, and set it up on a heavy duty wet-vac, rigged with

some intermediate chamber like a clean 5 gallon bucket so you could see

what came thru it, if you're pulling air thru one hard and blast it with water,

to simulate a hard rain at speed, I suspect it will pull the dirt thru with the water.

I have that kind of filter on my car, down in both front wheel wells,

they are bound to be getting wet.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,801 Posts
i was looking at these the other day & noticed that they call them 'Street Legal Heavy Breather'.... what does the 'street legal' part refer to? just curious

thanks!
I'd bet it needs a CARB approval to be used in CA,

that's all I could imagine that means..

·
BatRod
502 Posts
After reading this thread yesterday, I bought the "Heavy Breather" for the wife's sporty. Took 30 min to install. You really do have to degrease the back of the filter (as suggested) to get the chrome plate to stick to it.

I have some concern about the Crankase Vents. The plugs are pressed in, with just an o-ring to hold them in place. I put a drop of locktite in after installation, just to be safe. It looks like they could just blow out at high RPM. Am I missing something?

But the bike is now fully comfortable to ride. If you are adding the kit to a stock bike, you may need to buy the crankcase breather bolts. (Mine had the SE air cleaner installed at purchase, which includes them). Fuel mixture seems unchanged over the SE air cleaner.

·
Wreckin Crew
114 Posts
How do these price compare to the similar K&N unit?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts