Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Wreckin Crew
114 Posts
Seems like they all have a 90 degree bend and all use K&N filters, so why not just get the least expensive? I wonder if these move more air than the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II? It seems the 90 degree jobs probably get warmer air than the Big Sucker because of the proximity to the heads.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Seems like they all have a 90 degree bend and all use K&N filters, so why not just get the least expensive? I wonder if these move more air than the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II? It seems the 90 degree jobs probably get warmer air than the Big Sucker because of the proximity to the heads.
Dunno. I know my bike runs better with it. I bought it so I could stop riding with my knee mashed against the stock air cleaner. My right knee now rests against the tank and my feet set flat on the pegs and my foot rests naturally in the middle of the rear brake pedal.

·
BatRod
502 Posts
Dunno. I know my bike runs better with it. I bought it so I could stop riding with my knee mashed against the stock air cleaner. My right knee now rests against the tank and my feet set flat on the pegs and my foot rests naturally in the middle of the rear brake pedal.
Bingo!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help with breather

I have a 2008 Rocker stock pipes drilled baffles out put on screamin eagle breather. Question should i have it dyno'd or remapped. ?

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
That's one of the main reasons why I bought mine....

Plus, it looks evil, and It is alot more functional than the stock filter and cover.

I just installed all my stuff last night, and it runs ALOT better, and ALOT cooler now. The power is also smoother and rolls into the acceleration alot easier.

Overall, I give the SE Heavy Breather a 10 out of 10.

Oh, and mine was $330 after tax, and $300 before (we have 10% tax in the city), which is retail, but I also got a hell of a deal on my pipes and DynoJet Power Vision tuner, so I couldn't really complain too much.

[/IMG]

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,205 Posts
300 bucks for a pipe, a flange, and a cone filter?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Ditch that sock, unless it's actually raining. It restricts too much intake air, Bama.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
It doesn't appear to restrict the airflow that much? But if you say so Dave, I'll only use it when it's raining.

I didn't think it would hurt anything to leave it on there....

·
Registered
71 Posts

This is the single best thing I have ever bought for any Harley I have ever owned.

Let me start out by saying I always thought these things looked kinda poser. BUT...I sat on a friends bike that had one and noticed that my right leg fit right up against the tank and my foot rested naturally right on the rear brake pedal. I rode it around the block and was so impressed I went to the dealer yesterday and pried $300 out of my cheap little fingers for one. There are other people making basically the same thing, but I tend to buy Harley because I know what quality level I am going to get.

Installation was quite easy, I would say a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Minimum tools needed, but of course you will need the obligatory Torx bits. Time to install was maybe 30 minutes. I already had a free flow aircleaner and run a SERT with a custom map, so I really don't know if it would need a re-tune from stock. Power seems to be a little crisper down low, but then again I run a Rinehart 2:1 for performance anyways.

As far as the rain issue goes, it comes with a rain sock, but the owner of the dealership that I go to (Paradise HD in Tigard, Or...a GREAT dealership) has the same bike with the same set-up and he said he has never had any issue in the rain and only puts the sock on when he parks it where it might get rained on.

I rode about 200 miles today on it and was amazed at how comfortable it was. No more "Harley Knee" and it was almost like I had a new rear brake. I was surprised that there was no discernable induction noise. I expected a bit of sucking sound.

Caveat- I have a Dyna with forward controls and I don't know about Softails. I had a FXST in the past and had the same problem with my right knee, so I imagine it would work just as well.
I got mine installed this last week on my Iron XL883N, love it! The best part is the leg space that I have now. More comfortable, my right leg is in the perfect position now!. I will say first upgrade you need to do for a Sportster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does this heavy breather behave differently at different speeds? It seems that it would be sensitive to the speed of the air flowing by, no?

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
No, there is no sporadic reactions, other than the smile on your face.

If you install this, you will need to remap the ECM with a tuner....I recommend the DynoJet PowerVision. And if you're gonna get an intake & tuner, might as well buy new pipes as well.

It is an excellent product to add to your bike. The extra leg room is awesome, and the looks are killer, and the function is flawless.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It doesn't appear to restrict the airflow that much? But if you say so Dave, I'll only use it when it's raining.

I didn't think it would hurt anything to leave it on there....
The more I read about it, the less I see it as an issue. The only warning I waw regarding these types of filters, was NOT to run an oiled filter in the rain, without the rain sock.

One guy has a friend with a bike at his shop they ran on a dyno, once with a rain sock, and once without. No notable difference.

Myth busted.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Thanks for that info Dave! That's good to know. I have left my sock on there this whole time, but have ran it without before....Seat of the pants felt the same.

However, I like the all blacked-out look with the sock on there, so it makes the bike look even more evil.

·
Registered
36,947 Posts
The more I read about it, the less I see it as an issue. The only warning I waw regarding these types of filters, was NOT to run an oiled filter in the rain, without the rain sock.

One guy has a friend with a bike at his shop they ran on a dyno, once with a rain sock, and once without. No notable difference.

Myth busted.
That doesn't suprise me. I've run my bike with the SE filter back to back without no filter at all, just the backing plate.... at most a 5% change.

Makes me think that there might be a difference of 2% difference between all of the commonly used performance aftermarket air filters out there.
Just pick the one you like the looks of and run with it.

My butt dyno isn't gonna notice 2 hp on my motor.

·
Registered
36,947 Posts
If you want a Hypercharger - do it for the looks...
They are not a performance item because they are restrictive...
Agreed, Thats why I emphasized performance aftermarket aircleaner. :D

21 - 40 of 44 Posts