Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a screw in my rear tire yesterday...was going to pull it out but checked first if it was leaking...it is very slowly...

My question is do you think it's safe to ride to the dealership..it's about 25 miles highway speed...or have it towed..

They are going to replace with new N/C

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Just an opinion, but it's based on experience -
Leave the screw in. Do NOT take the highway, but keep it on the side streets and keep your speeds below 45.
If you pumped it up and it stays inflated for a few hours I'd be confident to carefully ride it to get it fixed. Again - just my opinion.

·
Just Ride
3,205 Posts
You'd be riding it if you didn't find it. Check air pressure before you leave.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Top it up. Take it slow. OR plug it for the ride there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...think I'll take it easy and ride it up....

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
Slow and easy the man said. Good luck

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
id plug it and ride it there if you have plug kit I carry one in saddle bags for just this reason has helped me out a few times

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I'd pull the screw and plug it with a good quality plug, like the ones from blackjack. Or at least take a plug kit and a portable compressor with you, just in case the screw works it way in or out.

Pete

Top it up. Take it slow. OR plug it for the ride there.

·
Just Ride
3,205 Posts
I have seen plugs fail also. You probably have the bike at the dealer by now. Let us know how it got there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going up tomorrow morning..taking secondary roads rather than the highway...I think I'll be fine...I'll post the outcome !

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
There is a big difference in the quality of plugs available today. If you stick with commercial brands, like Blackjack, you probably won't have any issues.

The guys that I know who tour all over the US, Mexico, and Canada are often in places where there are no bike shops in the area. These guys will sometimes finish up a trip with several plugs in their tires.

Pete

I have seen plugs fail also. You probably have the bike at the dealer by now. Let us know how it got there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I now have a new tire mounted n/c...no issues with riding it there...put 40 lbs in it before I left..no problems !!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts