Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Picture if you will a jewelers screwdriver for slotted heads. They are shaped in a way where the end that engages the slot is as wide as the shaft it's on the end of. From time to time I've seen larger screwdrivers made the same way. My Craftsman screwdrivers all have a shape where the shaft gets wider than the end then necks down to the final size. They work great for screws above the surface or flush with the surface but if the screw in sunk much below the surface such as is found on some CV carburetors you have to use a size that's much smaller than the slot it has to engage with just to get it to fit into the boar the jet is set in. Are there screwdrivers sold that have the Jeweler's screwdriver shape in standard screwdriver sizes or sizes made for carburetor work? Any help is appreciated.

Jonathan

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,958 Posts
Jon, closest I could find in my toolbox was a Klein offset driver whose end does that. I'd suggest you try their line. If that doesn't work out, did you consider sitting there with a good file and making the appropriate adjustments?

·
Poser Member # 99
18,137 Posts
Snap on .or Mac or Matco has narrow blades screw drivers and extended length . A grinder can solve a wide blade issue . Try a set of the Cheap Stanley Screw drivers the have a thin and Narrow blade .

Good Luck

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would do it wouldn't it. I wouldn't grind my Craftsmans but some flea market specials would make good cannon fodder.

Thanks Kd

Jonathan

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Big John.

I'll see what Stanley has.

Thank you.

Jonathan

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello all.

Picture if you will a jewelers screwdriver for slotted heads. They are shaped in a way where the end that engages the slot is as wide as the shaft it's on the end of. From time to time I've seen larger screwdrivers made the same way. My Craftsman screwdrivers all have a shape where the shaft gets wider than the end then necks down to the final size. They work great for screws above the surface or flush with the surface but if the screw in sunk much below the surface such as is found on some CV carburetors you have to use a size that's much smaller than the slot it has to engage with just to get it to fit into the boar the jet is set in. Are there screwdrivers sold that have the Jeweler's screwdriver shape in standard screwdriver sizes or sizes made for carburetor work? Any help is appreciated.

Jonathan
!/4" hex screw driver bits are made that way , come in up to 3" lengths .

·
Asylum Inmate
12,377 Posts
You are looking for JIS tools! Amazon has them.

·
Registered
25,250 Posts
Here is a few pictures of the screwdriver bit that I use for the low speed jet in my carburetors.
I ground down a portion of the hex shaft so it could reach the jet, a 1/4" wrench or a deep 1/4" socket will give enough grip to remove or install the low speed jet.

Attachments

·
Poser Member # 99
18,137 Posts
ya a 6 and 1 screwdriver would work

the Stanley screw drivers come in a 6 pk for around 6 bucks at Ace or Wally World

Not as good as a 6 pk of beers but close .......

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya a 6 and 1 screwdriver would work

the Stanley screw drivers come in a 6 pk for around 6 bucks at Ace or Wally World

Not as good as a 6 pk of beers but close .......
Thanks Big John. There's an ACE near me. I'll check them out today.

As for the part in bold. (this part should be in the favorite lyrics thread) And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

The Greatful Dead.

My thanks to all who replied. I now have a number of avenues to pursue. Last night I managed to find an old rusty screwdriver among my junk tools that I was able to grind and file into submission. It's quite rusty and pitted so I will still try to find a more pristine example to add to my regular tool collection.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts