Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and if so what they did about it.

I have an '06 RK Classic and I recently noticed that I'm getting a lot of scuff marks on the back of my tank (from where it meets the seat and about 4 inches forward). I even have a few on my air filter.

They're from my legs and 95% waxed right out (I'm sure the rest will as well with more effort) but besides a tank bra or clear plastic are there any options?

Kuryakn sells a spacer kit that moves the floorboards out about 3/4 of an inch and I wonder if this will help.

Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
How to you get scuff marks on the air cleaner and tank where it meets the seat? I don't believe my feet (or anything else that's HARD, well, maybe....) comes any where near those areas?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Wax the other 5% of your legs...? OR Tell her to take off her high heels while yer shagging on your scooter...:laugh

Sorry.....:rollin

·
Registered
870 Posts
I did the kury brackets on my SG

Before...

After...

Install was easy peasy, bolt kury brackets to oem brackets and bolt floorboards to new brackets.

First ride, it helps keep your legs off the tank, or makes it easier to keep them off.

It will help, maybe not cure.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Do a Google search for a tank bra or bib for your RK. That will cover most of the area near that part of the tank. Or just start wearing silk lederhosen when you ride :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Viper thanks for the input and the pics as well. I'm leaning towards the spacers as I like the clean, non-bra look.

Mike..yeah I'm surprised as well. I ride in jeans or chaps and I check to make sure it wasn't the zipper or something like that. I can't beleive its the inside seam of a pair of Levis doing the damage but it certainly looks that way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks guys.

Viper thanks for the input and the pics as well. I'm leaning towards the spacers as I like the clean, non-bra look.

Mike..yeah I'm surprised as well. I ride in jeans or chaps and I check to make sure it wasn't the zipper or something like that. I can't beleive its the inside seam of a pair of Levis doing the damage but it certainly looks that way.
I have the same problem from my jeans rubbing the sides of the gas tank. I use Mequiars Scratch X 2.0 to rub out the clear coat from time to time when I can start to see the scuffs. It does a good job.

VR

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Another post with out searching first. There are many options. I dont.like the bra option cuz debree gets under it and scratches even worse. Get you a good hard wax or some 3m clear protectors. They go on and cant tell its there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ive just today used HD scratch remover and I cant hardly believe what a difference..You need to rub the stuff in but for 6 bucks in impressed..

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts