Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

What is the general consensus on the SE 103 Stage 4 kit (Harley part no. 92500011) as a long-term option in terms of reliability and value?

I currently have a 2012 FLHTK at Stage 2 (SE-204 cams, SE AC, PCV and Rush True Dual headers and pipes.) I am thinking that the 10 point bump in cam duration from the SE-259 cam included in this kit over my current SE-204, along with the 58mm TB and SE heads, plus the 10.5 CR from the SE pistons would give me adequate performance without risking long term reliability.

I get the whole "no replacement for displacement" argument being used by my dealership (who are trying to steer me to the 113" big bore kit) but I am concerned about heat. I really want a 100k+ mile motor without having to crack the cases once I have my current motor rebuilt, so that is what is making me consider this particular kit from Harley.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Reliability is a combination of the parts involved, the machining, the assembly, and then the tune.
We have a 124" out there with over 100,000 miles on it, and that bike has 237,000 on the chassis.
Many 117"ers that we've tracked with 40-50,000 miles and 107", and 98" engines with that and more.
Scott

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Scott. In all likelihood when I do pull the trigger on a rebuild I will likely be asking you for some help, and making the trip up your way to get it done. I value your time and feedback on this forum and I would feel comfortable with your work product I am sure given what I've read on this forum.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Hello All -

What is the general consensus on the SE 103 Stage 4 kit (Harley part no. 92500011) as a long-term option in terms of reliability and value?

I currently have a 2012 FLHTK at Stage 2 (SE-204 cams, SE AC, PCV and Rush True Dual headers and pipes.) I am thinking that the 10 point bump in cam duration from the SE-259 cam included in this kit over my current SE-204, along with the 58mm TB and SE heads, plus the 10.5 CR from the SE pistons would give me adequate performance without risking long term reliability.

I get the whole "no replacement for displacement" argument being used by my dealership (who are trying to steer me to the 113" big bore kit) but I am concerned about heat. I really want a 100k+ mile motor without having to crack the cases once I have my current motor rebuilt, so that is what is making me consider this particular kit from Harley.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated!
Something to keep in mind: With a Twin-cam, once you start increasing TQ/HP, the crankshaft becomes the weak link in the chain. Stock cranks generally don't do well once you start adding serious numbers, and if reliability is a concern, you should consider either having your stock crank trued and welded, or going with a crank from S&S. What generally happens is that the crank halves slip/twist on the crank-pin, and the pinion-end tries to use the oil pump and cam-plate bushing as a main bearing resulting in the oil pump self-destructing and taking everything else with it. My 2012 103 had .005" of run-out from the factory, making it not possible to install gear-drive cams as I had hoped to. While you're in there, you should also do the Timken bearing conversion on the left side of the crank.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Far and above the absolute worst year was 2004, and then 2007's from what we've witnessed.
The Moco must have changed their machined fitments on the later bikes as they do not seem to sissor much anymore, or at least from what we've seen.
Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also no need for gear drive cams,they are a lot better than the pre 06 bikes,a lot of guys running the chain set up with no issues,

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
We've never performed back/back testing on the late hydraulic chain vs a gear drive, but did years ago on the early chain vs gear drive.
We witnessed about 3/3 hp/torque difference.
Not the friction as some may suspect but rather cam timing accuracy.:)
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts