Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the SE-254E Cam Kit for my 103. Does anyone have that same kit or familiar with it?

·
On the loose
8,699 Posts
What are you looking to get out of it ? It's designed for more low to mid range torque , how ever the 255 out performs it by 8 - 10 ft lbs across the whole RPM range.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a speed and performance junkie. I'm just looking for the lope of a cam and the horsepower on the top end. I want to pull away at 55mph without downshifting. Not planning on going any further in developing this engine. Cams will top off my performance work for this bike.

I'm definitely considering the 255 also, even though I read a questionable review in this performance post about the 255, but I think that may have been because of poor dyno mapping. The dealer recommended the 258, but I don't plan on doing any piston or head work.

Thanks for your advise - after reading the SE Pro Performance catalog the 255 might be a better fit for me.

·
On the loose
8,699 Posts
You may also wana shop some after market cams before you make a final choice , there's a good variety out.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
You may also wana shop some after market cams before you make a final choice , there's a good variety out.
+1 on this idea.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I'm not a speed and performance junkie. I'm just looking for the lope of a cam and the horsepower on the top end. I want to pull away at 55mph without downshifting. Not planning on going any further in developing this engine. Cams will top off my performance work for this bike.

I'm definitely considering the 255 also, even though I read a questionable review in this performance post about the 255, but I think that may have been because of poor dyno mapping. The dealer recommended the 258, but I don't plan on doing any piston or head work.

Thanks for your advise - after reading the SE Pro Performance catalog the 255 might be a better fit for me.

Andrews 48 or a Wood 222 will allow you to pull away at 55 mph.
Scott

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Hillside Cycle knows performance and gives good advice. Wise to follow his recommendations. :thumbsup

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott
You are right I should consider other options like Andrews or Woods. I am working with SE because it's a new bike and there' warranty issues to consider. I'm thinking I should hold this thought of putting in cams til my warranty passes, (even though I hate to). Then have someone other than HD put in the cams.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hillside Cycle knows performance and gives good advice. Wise to follow his recommendations. :thumbsup
Thanks Breeze good advice is always needed.

·
On the loose
8,699 Posts
I know my dealer puts in aftermarket performance stuff all the time and warranties the bike ,especially if you purchase it through them , you might ask them.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know my dealer puts in aftermarket performance stuff all the time and warranties the bike ,especially if you purchase it through them , you might ask them.
Hadn't considered it, but sure won't hurt to ask...thanks.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott
Thanks for the input Scott. Is the Andrews and Wood cams pretty much the same or is one over the other? Is there such a thing as an "all around" cam kit? I say I just want to "pull away at 55mph," because I don't fully understand what cams can do for my bike. Are there cams for low and high end performance, or is it either or?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Thanks for the input Scott. Is the Andrews and Wood cams pretty much the same or is one over the other? Is there such a thing as an "all around" cam kit? I say I just want to "pull away at 55mph," because I don't fully understand what cams can do for my bike. Are there cams for low and high end performance, or is it either or?
We use a lot of Bob Wood cams here (and have since 1996 when we watched him come to the V-Twin market) along with S&S and Andrews, and used a lot of Crane cams prior to them no longer manufacturing HD cams, but we feel that the Andrews 48 edges out the 222.
Yes, there are many cams out there with different intended purposes.
The 48 will deliver a heaping-helping of low-mid power, and that is where basically most folks have their engine rpm at about 90% of the time.:)
Scott

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
We use a lot of Bob Wood cams here (and have since 1996 when we watched him come to the V-Twin market) along with S&S and Andrews, and used a lot of Crane cams prior to them no longer manufacturing HD cams, but we feel that the Andrews 48 edges out the 222.
Yes, there are many cams out there with different intended purposes.
The 48 will deliver a heaping-helping of low-mid power, and that is where basically most folks have their engine rpm at about 90% of the time.:)
Scott
Would this apply to a stock TC88 with a PCIII? I also have the SE A/F with a K&N element and Rinehart TD exhaust system. I'm not a hot rodder, but I wouldn't mind making the girl perk up a bit if it would not affect reliabilty and longevity.
(75k on the clock)

--

·
On the loose
8,699 Posts
Would this apply to a stock TC88 with a PCIII? I also have the SE A/F with a K&N element and Rinehart TD exhaust system. I'm not a hot rodder, but I wouldn't mind making the girl perk up a bit if it would not affect reliabilty and longevity.
(75k on the clock)

--

S&S 509 is the ticket for that 88 :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
(75k on the clock)

--
Andrews 21 or an S&S .509.
Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts