Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrade #1 next year and I have a couple of questions for all you experts across the pond. These parts are new to me and the H-D accessories book doesn't give answers:

1/ As I understand it I can get a SE air filter which fits inside my stock cover - I've used this on previous Harleys and quite like this idea. Alternatively I can get the "Heavy Breather" which looks purposeful but rather ugly. Anyone know what kind of performance difference there is between the two?

2/ If I go for the Heavy Breather I can get a "rain cover" for it. What happens if you don't use it and it rains? What happens if you wash the bike and get it covered with shampoo? Assuming you are supposed to use it whilst riding, what difference does the rain cover make to performance? Why not leave it on all the time?

I'm really looking for airflow numbers if possible but BHP/Torque curves would be great too.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Don't know about air flow or torque numbers, but I have one on my SG and I like it. I haven't had any problems with water. I just put it on if it might rain and when I wash it. Sometimes I leave it on for extended periods of time. Can't tell any difference with the rain sock on or off. I also have a PCV and a v&h 2-into-1 pro pipe on the bike and I like the power the combination produces. I posted the dyno sheet over in the performance section. Maybe this helped answer some of your question?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Zippers performance makes quality filters similar to k&N filters with cotton mesh this an oilable media. Larger.

I used a Forcewinder, which is just like the heavy breather. Never had rain issues either but you can, if it sits in the rain. I used to carry a ziplok baggie with me. While washing, cover with baggie. Even if it gets wet......not all of it is wet. Besides......its soaked with oil so little water is going to permeate it.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zippers performance makes quality filters similar to k&N filters with cotton mesh this an oilable media. Larger.

I used a Forcewinder, which is just like the heavy breather. Never had rain issues either but you can, if it sits in the rain. I used to carry a ziplok baggie with me. While washing, cover with baggie. Even if it gets wet......not all of it is wet. Besides......its soaked with oil so little water is going to permeate it.
Thanks for that Dave - I can't help but envy the choice you guys have when it comes to parts and accessories.

Did you use the Forcewinder because you liked it better or did you have any quantitative evidence that it improved performance?

Talking to people who have Heavy Breathers over here it seems that they want to show that their bike had been customised rather than actually knowing what difference it made. Same with exhausts but I'm not getting sucked (sic) into that one again. Given your history I assume you're not one of those!

If there's no difference in flow I'm tempted to stick with the standard cover with SE element inside. Sounds like less hassle!

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted the dyno sheet over in the performance section. Maybe this helped answer some of your question?
Thanks - that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll go see if I can find it!

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
The Heavy Breather would have an advantage over the SE replacement if you had a heavily modified big bore engine looking to get the most air flow. But they are somewhat expensive and depending on your riding position the HB can get in the way of your right leg causing your knee to extend out catching more air. At least that was my experience.

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
That's what I use. Drag Specialties PN 1011-0782

I use the one 1/2" taller than stock, pokes out ~1/2" past the cover.

They also make one same size as stock.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I use. Drag Specialties PN 1011-0782

I use the one 1/2" taller than stock, pokes out ~1/2" past the cover.

They also make one same size as stock.
That looks perfect - now I just have to find where I can get one over here.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The forcewinder is a spout and filter. You need a separate retaining bracket and bead vent kit. It was still cheaper than the $350+ Heavy Breather. The flow from an SE element will far excess what you need. But.....I'd modify your stock backing plate to give the filter elements t more air flow if you stay with the stock housing.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all - I think I'll forget the heavy breather and go for either the SE element or, if I can get one over here, the zipper alternative.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
If the motor isn't highly modified I don't think there will be a difference between the heavy breather and high flow filter element to fit the factory breather. I got it just cause I liked the way they looked.

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
If the motor isn't highly modified I don't think there will be a difference between the heavy breather and high flow filter element to fit the factory breather.
There was only ~2 HP difference while running my bike on a dyno between the large Zippers filter + SE backplate/Stock Cover and running open with the SE backplate only.

I figure that would be the most that the heavy breather would help.... 2 HP in my case.
Running with the rain sock on the heavy breather cuts HP down by that much...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts