Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SE Race Tuner/Power Commander/FuelPack???

Okay tuner /ignition up grade.

My 06 RK runs pretty good but I am wondering about getting a little more with out changing engine parts. I figure I will buy another Harley in about three years so I do not want to through a bunch more money into this one. Next bike I will probably just buy a screaming eagle touring bike.
I have the stage one kit, with one piece slash cut V&H slip-ons. The bike has never sputtered or ran rough but with my wife on there it seems to lack HP.

The Harley dealer that put on the stage one does not have a Dyno so I imagine they just used a SE Race Tuner to DL the MAP for the V&H slip-ons.
So I believe there are three tuners, V&H Fuel Pack, Power Commander and SE Race Tuner. But I have been told that you still have to use a Dyno to really custom tune ieven with the tuners. Except the Thunder- Max ignition/ tuner that comes with air flow sensors that are installed in the pipes. The Thunder-Max will self adj using the sensors and you do not need to Dyno Tune.
The other tuners run $300-$400 and then you have to pay a couple hundred for the Custum Tune at a Harley dealer, the Thunder-Max runs about $900.

So not sure what the best option really is but I welcome any insight anyone might have on this subject.

Thanks

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
The bike has never sputtered or ran rough but with my wife on there it seems to lack HP.
I'd say save your money, unless you put it on a load dyno (Dynojet 250i) and identify an A/F mixture problem under load on EFI bikes. Then if you identify an A/F problem, I would recommend a Power Commander and using someone with a Dynojet 250i and Tuning Link software to program it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is another local dealer that says they have a Dyno. They said for $40 they will do a "Pull" which I guess means they will take a look at the A/F.
This dealer is about 35miles away so, sounds like a good reason for a short ride.

This is the dealer that mentioned the Thunder-Max Ignition/Tuner with a new CAM install to give a little more head compressen; more low-end mid-range torque for $2K, includ9ing the Thunder-Max installed.

I am not sure if it enough bang for the buck. My bike runs great really but sometimes I do feel like I am beating becuase I trying to get all in every gear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Usually when they say they will do a "pull", that just means they will do horsepower and torque readings without the A/F measuring equipment.

The dyno locater here http://www.powercommander.com/Powercommander_iii_usb/powercommander_information.aspx will tell you if the dealer has the Tuning Link software. If they do have the Tuning Link software listed on this page, that will mean they also have the Dynojet 250i.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are listed, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts