Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current bike. 2015 FLHTK Water Cooled 103. Came new from the dealer with a Stage IV kit installed. SE exhaust and they tuned it with the SE Street Tuner so I have that.
I swapped the SE headers for Vance and Hines power duals to get rid of the Cat and have a little better flow. It feels much cooler. The performance seat of the pants feels a little better.
I doubt I will purchase a better tuner so I want to re-tune it using the SE Street Tuner. Yep I know the limitations of it. I have reviewed the training class and checked out various forums, videos etc to tune the bike.

I didn't see the tune that the dealership put on it and I haven't hooked the tuner up myself yet. I don't have their file. When they downloaded the file from VCI would that likely be gone from the VCI?

So for the base calibration do I just select the closest base calibration and then do a record run and do a smart tune against that? Then tweak from there if any AFR/Spark advance needs to be changed?

Thanks!!!

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
I wish I knew the answers to your questions but from what I have read you really need to use a dyno to have it done properly, at least with my 2007 SERT. If you do want to dyno tune it, I recently asked my closest dealership with one about them using my SERT. I was concerned that they might have to stay within EPA limits now, or worse yet that they might defang my software, but I was told that such limitations only apply to a 2017 bike.

But if your bike is running cooler and you noticed better performance it sounds like your current tune is fine anyway.

Edit: Thinking on this a little more, having a dyno run done is cheap. You might be able to have them hook up your tuner and take a look at low cost too. It could be that they find that they cant improve on the map you have.

·
American
26,337 Posts
I believe since the EPA lowered the boom on HD ($15 mil) you will get what HD and the EPA deem what's in compliant. It is all controlled by HD corp. so, if you hook into the SE website to update you will be restricted to the maps they allow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan to put it on a Dyno. It's more of a time issue than cost. The shop I want to take it to is open M-F 8-5. So if I can get it pretty close for now, I'll be happy. It runs OK. I have some exhaust popping. Some off idle bog and some mid range flat spots. It's not horrible but enough that I notice. Putting it on the Dyno is the best way to get it tuned. I'll give the Smart tune a try and see what it comes up with.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Street Tuner has a lot of adjustment in it, just not quite as many as the Pro Super Tuner or the Race Tuner. If you don't have the cables, get them, then hook up the bike, VCI, and computer. The file in the bike can then be downloaded to your computer and you'll have it. You can ride the bike with the VCI hooked up to it and make data runs to modify the map to improve performance, but it is easier to have it dialed in on a dyno.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok that makes sense. I did buy the cables. I'll give it a try today. Thanks for the help!

·
American
26,337 Posts
Just remember when you hook it up to the computer SE site HD will control what you do. They have restricted the site and changes to be in compliance. The A/F will be lean. least that's what I have been told.....

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
Just remember when you hook it up to the computer SE site HD will control what you do. They have restricted the site and changes to be in compliance. The A/F will be lean. least that's what I have been told.....
Maybe Mountaingoat can let us know if thats true or not. I was also told that a dealer cant fully use my SERT and keep my bike beyond EPA limits but the service manager at the dealer told me thats not true, they can dyno tune my bike regardless, as the ruling only pertains to 2017 bikes and tuners. Maybe thats because my SERT operates off of a program that I have on disc and the Street Tuner operates from their site? :dunno I wish I knew all the details about how the various tuners work.

·
American
26,337 Posts
Maybe Mountaingoat can let us know if thats true or not. I was also told that a dealer cant fully use my SERT and keep my bike beyond EPA limits but the service manager at the dealer told me thats not true, they can dyno tune my bike regardless, as the ruling only pertains to 2017 bikes and tuners. Maybe thats because my SERT operates off of a program that I have on disc and the Street Tuner operates from their site? :dunno I wish I knew all the details about how the various tuners work.
I was told if my SERT is hooked up to the SE website to make any adjustments I will lose my dyno tune and the software (which has been updated by HD for compliance) will revert my tune to be in compliance with A/F and I would not be able to retain current dyno tune. I'm sure some of the older versions (disk) pre online would be okay.... just my guess.

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
I was told if my SERT is hooked up to the SE website to make any adjustments I will lose my dyno tune and the software (which has been updated by HD for compliance) will revert my tune to be in compliance with A/F and I would not be able to retain current dyno tune. I'm sure some of the older versions (disk) pre online would be okay.... just my guess.
Who told you that?

I'm in the proccess of trying to watch the tutorial on SEPST's. I havent had time yet at work but so far it looks like you download the program, not work through it online. Its not until you flash in a new map that anything changes on your ECU. I dont think its going to take control and do it itself and wipe out your dyno tuned map.

As to whether you can modify an already out of compliance map... I dont know yet but I would like to confirm that from the horses mouth (the moco). From what the dealership told me you should be able to still do whatever was within the capabilities of your tuner since its pre-2017.

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
My dealer told me today that they can / will dyno tune using my FP3.
If you have that done you should video it and get some good close ups of what the tech does on the ipad or whatever they end up using Duce. I would love to see your AFR tables afterward too. Tell him you'll make him famous on youtube!

·
American
26,337 Posts
Who told you that?

I'm in the proccess of trying to watch the tutorial on SEPST's. I havent had time yet at work but so far it looks like you download the program, not work through it online. Its not until you flash in a new map that anything changes on your ECU. I dont think its going to take control and do it itself and wipe out your dyno tuned map.

As to whether you can modify an already out of compliance map... I dont know yet but I would like to confirm that from the horses mouth (the moco). From what the dealership told me you should be able to still do whatever was within the capabilities of your tuner since its pre-2017.
Dealer told me. You are correct it does not occur until you flash to ECM. But when you do it will make compliant changes for you. It has to do with A/F mixture being in compliant. Has nothing to do with 2017 or newer. HD has updated their programs and control what is being downloaded. Including dyno tune being done by dealers programs. Doesn't mean the tunes won't help, just can't get A/F down to 13.7 which is where it needs to be.

·
On the loose
8,689 Posts
If you have that done you should video it and get some good close ups of what the tech does on the ipad or whatever they end up using Duce. I would love to see your AFR tables afterward too. Tell him you'll make him famous on youtube!
The dyno tech told me hes done 11 of them so far , in their lounge there's a big window right by the dyno and a display screen in the corner , haven't decided if / when I might do it yet. He says 3 hrs dyno time = $300.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Screamin Eagle software for the SEPST tuner for any 2016 and older bike still has full tuning capabilities, you can change the VE tables, the ignition timing tables, and the A/F ratio tables. it has NOT been restricted. The SEST does not have all of the capabilities of the SEPST or Race tuner, and is designed to always be EPA compliant (or real close to it).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will connect mine tomorrow and then do a record run then see what the tuning looks like. I'll post my findings and maybe more questions in this thread.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,160 Posts
:think:confused It all sounds like rocket science to me. What do I need and how much time to learn to tune? Should a tinkerer like me just take it in for tuning?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Get on your computer, and open the Tuner program, go to the Help section, and do some reading. It's not that hard, and it tells you everything you need to know. TTS is owned by the guy that used to make the SE Race tuners, and his product is very similar, and that site also has a lot of good information.

·
Frozen Member
2,318 Posts
Theres also a series of tutorial videos. I started watching them but havent had time to get far.

http://streetperformancetuner.harley-davidson.com/StreetTuner.aspx

I wish I could find something like this for my old 2007 SERT. I have the program disc and I have tried reading the manual several times but it quickly goes past what I understand. Its been awhile though and I have learned some stuff since then so I intend to try it again.

I also have a FP3 though so if I want to adjust AFR I can easily do it through that. Problem is I dont really know what I'm doing and dont want to just go changing settings willy-nilly without knowing if I need to do anything else along with a change to the AFR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I had some time to perform a data recording run. Setting that up is fairly straight forward. I just followed the steps from the training course.
Harley Davidson Street Tuner WBT Course

Then I updated that using the smart tune function. I then downloaded the updated file to the bike and went for a ride. The off idle hesitation seems to be gone, the exhaust popping and flat spots are gone as well. I'm pretty happy with the changes it made. I wanted a good baseline before I made any other tuning changes. I'll do another data recording run next week when I have more time and then review the data and see if there are other tweaks I want to make.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts