Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what route to go into stage 1 with, the SE tuner & dyno tune or FP1 Fuel pack or Power Vision.

Some say the SE tuner is the way to go with a dyno tune , looking at under $500 at my dealer. Blessed with a good dyno guy too.

I've been hearing really good things about the FP1 also , it's a bit less than the PV , easy to use , with several features including an auto tune / learn mode. It also interfaces with your smart phone making it pretty handy.

PV is the most expensive of the 3 tuners , has great support , especially when purchased from Fuel Moto , been proven and widely used.

Has anyone went from an SE / dyno tune to one of these other tuners or vice versa ? Any other experiences with any of the 3 ?

Looking for cooler running and a little performance boost , cams may come down the road a couple of years too.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
After changing my headers and adding a HD stage1 a/c I went with the SEPST. The main reason was I plan to do cams and some head work down the line. The V&H FP3 was my next choice if I didn't go for the cams and other work. I'm currently waiting for the dyno, and have already programed a canned map on the bike to hold me over until the dyno is done. I was also able to adjust my AFR down to 12.8 as a temporary fix.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I had a problem on my 09 RK with one of the cylinders shutting down. My mech. said it was a faulty Fuel Pak; that they were notorious for that. I took it out myself and then took the bike to him. He did the Powervision Tune and added a K&N filter. It just purrs now and picked up about 5 HP. It costs $200. for the license and about $250. for the tune. But with the license, which stays with the bike, if at any time you change anything like pipes, cams, etc., you are good to go. I am thrilled with the performance of the RK right now. Just waiting on some weather.

·
Former Lurker
2,923 Posts
I have had SERT on 4 bikes now and been happy with all of them.
Have not ever owned a PC or any of the others...
I think it would be harder for HD to give you a hard time over issues with their product vs. aftermarket...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you were going to race NASCAR, would you worry more about the the maker of the car or the guys building it?

Silly, but the idea is that they all work. I don't know a lot about the fuelpaks, but the SERT and the Dynojet stuff are equally good if you have the right person doing the set up.

The nice thing about the Power Commander (or Vision) is that there is a ton of crap out there on them. If you are just swapping parts and no head work , compression or displacement change, you can almost certainly find a map to load on there without dropping the coin on a dyno run. They are very user friendly.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I have had the sert, the cobra, and now the FP3 with the iPhone interface. They have all been good. I like being able to tweak the FP3 myself because I like doing that. It works great and no issues. I have stage 1, no cams or headwork planned at this point.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
running the pro super tuner on my bike and the wifes Lo. ive tweeked tuning tables on mine and am very happy with them. the ONLY other one id consider is the Thundermax but 2x's the money.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess one of the reasons I ask is warranty considerations , wondering if an aftermarket tuner is going to be an issue should a motor problem arise ?

I know if the dealer tunes it on there dyno with the SE tuner they will back it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I guess one of the reasons I ask is warranty considerations , wondering if an aftermarket tuner is going to be an issue should a motor problem arise ?

I know if the dealer tunes it on there dyno with the SE tuner they will back it.

That's one of the beauties of the Powervision, You can restore it to factory tune instantly.

·
CRSO
344 Posts
The FP3 is the same...it just plugs into the bike with no additional wiring. The FP3 is a flash-based tuner operating on Bluetooth, and it stores your original map if you ever have to revert (for whatever reason).

My dealer said unless I get crazy with mapping there isn't a problem with service/warranty work...punch in your motor/intake/exhaust info and the V&H-tested and approved map won't damage anything.

If you have a setup that isn't in their map library just contact them and they'll help you out with an appropriate map.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts