Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear fender on my Heritage is missing the rear seat attachment nut in the fender. Its been gone since I bought the bike, as it has two tabs on the sides, bolting into the frame, I never though much about it. Looking at seats, and most aftermarkets do not have the two side tabs, they use only the front tab and the rear attachment point. Soooo.... I need to repair the rear attachment, or run the stock seat. A search of the interwebs, resulted in kits for newer models, but no love for the older bikes. Looking for any info on repair kits/methods that would work on the '91 Heritage. I know there is something out there to fix this, I cannot be the only one. Thanks!

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
The dealer sells those nuts, comes with a plastic C clip to hold it in the fender.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw some at J&P, but it said it would not work on mine, only newer ones. Thought maybe it was a clearance issue.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
I was just looking at Ronnie's parts. What seat are you using ? Double saddle or aftermarket ? If you have the hole in the fender with one or two notches then the stock well nut should work. The stock well nut has just one alignment tab on it that fits into the notches so it doesn't turn when you install the screw.
There's a trick to installing that nut too cause it comes up from inside the fender, tight fit !
Stick a long zip tie through the nut, slide the zip tie up through the hole in the fender from the inside, pull the nut up and secure it with the plastic C clip then pull the zip tie back out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at a Mustang, have a stock seat and a Milsco(?) aftermarket, with a backrest. The hole in the fender is rough, like maybe it spun in the fender. It's always had a rubber plug in it. The stock and am seats have the tab on the nose, a tab on each side to the frame, and the rear screw.

Researching on the Mustang site, the removal instructions tell you to remove the side screws, but the installation ones do not mention reinstalling them. One photo shows them the other does not. If I'm not mistaken the newer one only use the tab and rear screw to secure the seat, would this be the case with the Mustang?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Webco! When searching that number, and following it to J&P, it says doesn't fit the '91 so that was my confusion.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks Webco! When searching that number, and following it to J&P, it says doesn't fit the '91 so that was my confusion.
Over time the numbers have changed, but the nut is the same, clip is different is all. First was a c-clip, then steel u-clip, last one is a plastic
u-clip . :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal! Gotta grab some, and long tywraps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts